Philpott / Smith River Planned Releases

Started by Al, May 08, 2017, 07:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

BRFFF

Quote from: Al on December 18, 2018, 20:56:01 PM
Well so much for wading - here is the latest  b';

"Philpott has an unscheduled plant outage beginning 0700 Wednesday (12/19) ending 1700 Thursday (12/20).

During the plant outage one sluice gate will be open to 2.5 ft (1060 cfs)."
[/u]

Damn it, I was all ready to go! But thanks for the update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRFFF

2.5 inches of rain today — lake is up a foot and more is on the way

Al

Quote from: BRFFF on December 20, 2018, 23:52:13 PM
2.5 inches of rain today — lake is up a foot and more is on the way

Not much we can do about 24 hour generation when they have this much water - latest forecast from my source at COE is 24/7 all of next week.

What I am going to explore is once things get back to normal - ie normal seems to be 12 hour generation, why can't that 12 hours be programed so that there is at least a portion of the day where we can wade?

I know the argument will be "we are a peaking station and we can make more $ at peak rate."  Actually there is not a great $ difference. Good will and public relations should have some value. I've fought this fight before - I'll need your help if we go this route.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on December 21, 2018, 09:25:49 AMWhat I am going to explore is once things get back to normal - ie normal seems to be 12 hour generation, why can't that 12 hours be programed so that there is at least a portion of the day where we can wade?

Money, they don't make any money running the generation at night. Peak hours equate to the most dollars....

lake is up over 2 feet now and still rising.....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

The latest ..................

"Philpott will begin sluicing today in order to turn the lake. One gate will be opened to a 2.5' setting before lunch.

An additional 1-2 changes to follow."

Al

Quote from: Al on December 26, 2018, 12:44:52 PM
The latest ..................

"Philpott will begin sluicing today in order to turn the lake. One gate will be opened to a 2.5' setting before lunch.

An additional 1-2 changes to follow."

Better get out of the way, they now opening to 7.5 feet.

Dougfish

Jeebus.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

BRFFF

Quote from: Dougfish on December 26, 2018, 17:30:54 PM
Jeebus.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
Exactly

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Al

Ramping on down - but still flowing to much for safe wading ............. Time to buy a raft

"Sluice gate settings are being reduced today.

At 1100 the setting was reduced to a 5' setting resulting in 2190 cfs from the gate.

At 1300 the setting will be reduced to a 2.5' setting resulting in 1065 cfs from the gate in addition to a single unit generation.

Plan to hold this setting through the weekend."

Al

"One additional change will be made this afternoon going to a 1.5' setting at 1500.

This setting is the equivalent of unit 2 being in operations and will result in outflows of near 1300 cfs over the weekend."

BRFFF

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

2.5+ inches of rain ain't gonna help any

Al

Here we go again - This came in about an hour ago ...........

"Sluice releases from Philpott are being increased today. Total releases from the project will be near  3350 cfs be the end of the day."

Followed by this just now ....................

"Philpott Sluice Gate #2 raised from 1.5' to 4' at 1150OT; expect another 2.5' around 1400OT for a max opening of 6.5'  "

Al

I wish you guys would stop pissing upstream of Philpott because it all flows down hill and they can't keep the overall lake levels in check.

"The sluice gate is being opened this morning to a flow rate of 640 cfs in effort to get the lake to 974 ft before the weekend. Total from the project will be near 1300 cfs, equivalent of both units being in operation."

Dee-Vo

I've had a hankering to visit the Smith. Will it ever be back to fishable?