News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New member question

Started by 68camaro, April 21, 2020, 05:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

Hi, new member here out of Richmond. I have only been focused on small stream fishing in central va for last year or so. I am currently third week into work-at-home directive and we are told to slow down business so I have lots of time on my hands.

Lately, I have been concentrating on dry flies. I am catching them and miss a bunch as well but I am finding the little guys. Occasionally will get bigger brookie or even 9" brown but rare.

I think I could do better and was wondering if I should be doing more nymph/midge "wet" fly fishing. I do know that trout eat more subsurface than on the top.

So the question I was wondering is, how much time do you spend wet versus dry fly fishing?

Dougfish

Welcome to the low rent district. And shit show.
I'll take the blame for your demise since I shared a link here.  :laugh:

I fish weighted nymphs or streamers for trout 75% of the time.
No mater what size of water.
Esp. fall through spring.
15% dry/dropper. 10% dry only.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

68camaro

Quote from: Dougfish on April 21, 2020, 06:10:45 AMWelcome to the low rent district. And shit show.
I'll take the blame for your demise since I shared a link here.  :laugh:

I fish weighted nymphs or streamers for trout 75% of the time.
No mater what size of water.
Esp. fall through spring.
15% dry/dropper. 10% dry only.

Thanks, I do appreciate the link referral. I just hope I don't dumb down the fishing "success" curve of the forum :laugh:

Your stats are what I was afraid of, I love dry but should probably step up wet game. I used to do wet more but got away from it, when I was big into bass fishing topwater was my focus as well, even when it shouldn't have been.

Onslow

Quote from: 68camaro on April 21, 2020, 05:58:35 AMHi, new member here out of Richmond. I have only been focused on small stream fishing in central va for last year or so. I am currently third week into work-at-home directive and we are told to slow down business so I have lots of time on my hands.

Lately, I have been concentrating on dry flies. I am catching them and miss a bunch as well but I am finding the little guys. Occasionally will get bigger brookie or even 9" brown but rare.

I think I could do better and was wondering if I should be doing more nymph/midge "wet" fly fishing. I do know that trout eat more subsurface than on the top.

So the question I was wondering is, how much time do you spend wet versus dry fly fishing?

Midges are for pretentious twats.

I love bass fishing, largemouth to be specific. I wanna see some Nottaway floats, and some wading on the Slate River.

Woolly Bugger

depends on the water for me ... sometimes I just like to play the dry fly game... other times it's nymping...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

I probably catch bigger fish on average with nymphs, but catch some good ones on dry flies too. I caught a 20"+ wild brown out of a heavily fished creek in the GSMNP on a #12 Beaver Tan dry a few years ago. I've caught lots of trout in the teens on dries over the years. Don't be afraid to use bigger dry flies. And fuck a midge.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Big J

If you aren't fishing dries 100% of the time, are you even fly fishing? 

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on April 21, 2020, 09:07:27 AMIf you aren't fishing dries 100% of the time, are you even fly fishing? 

You big fat pink weenie liar.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Stone-Man

Let the creek tell you what to throw. If you can't buy a dry bite in 30 minutes or so.--- put your nymph on.  I dry fly a lot because I enjoy it more than a sinking bug - Personal preference ,  but I am not going to die on a dry once the creek tells me that it ain't a floaty bug day

JT

Phil

Quote from: Stone-Man on April 21, 2020, 11:16:14 AMLet the creek tell you what to throw. If you can't buy a dry bite in 30 minutes or so.--- put your nymph on.  I dry fly a lot because I enjoy it more than a sinking bug - Personal preference ,  but I am not going to die on a dry once the creek tells me that it ain't a floaty bug day

JT

+2 here.

ryguy

Floating the Nottoway??

Where are you from in Richmond?

streamereater_101691

Welcome. You've got some pretty good answers so far. You are 100% correct that a trouts diet consists of sub-surface meals most of the time. There are times of the year/streams in particular that certain dries will work just about anytime. With that, I encourage you to try different techniques but don't get caught up in using a technique that you don't like, no matter how well its working. Fish the way you want to fish if you are enjoying yourself.

driver

Of all the places on the internet.. You ended up here. People must really have nothing else to do.  :P

68camaro

Quote from: driver on April 21, 2020, 15:55:04 PMOf all the places on the internet.. You ended up here. People must really have nothing else to do.  :P

I put the blame squarely at the feet of dougfish...I was innocently going on with my life and everything was just fine...and then, WHAM...he sent me a link here......oh the horror.....

68camaro

Quote from: ryguy on April 21, 2020, 12:22:31 PMWhere are you from in Richmond?

Out by Swift Creek Reservoir of Hull St.