Favorite Sunglasses for Shady Rivers

Started by revfox, May 04, 2015, 19:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revfox

Been using Costa for years and love the Green Mirror 580 for saltwater flats. The polarization is invaluable but they feel a bit dim on shady rivers and was wondering if anyone uses anything else that they feel is quality. I have loved Costa for a long time and am open to others but really looking for tiny recommendations. Thx

Big J

Your going to get WMT all hot and bothered from this topic.

Jfey

Get the same glasses with lighter lenses.   Problem solved.

While on the subject, I find that I get better distance, accuracy and stealth using a green or dark blue line on shady days on bluelines.  If it is sunny, you won't find me without an orange or light green.  Whatever you do, don't use yellow under any condition unless you are fishing for small mouth bass.  They love yellow.

What color lines do you typically use?

edit:  this is only on Eastern streams.  For some reason its the reverse out West.   
Yup, going fishing

Dougfish

Amber/Yellow lens.

But I'm half blind.

Dee-Vo

Mine are amber colored.....work fine for me. They aren't an expensive brand either. I'd like to check a pricey pair out just to really see the difference. Is there a huge difference?

driver

Native with brown lenses, they also come with a pair of low light lenses that are OMG amazing. I bought these as a backup while my Costas we in the shop. I find myself wearing these more than the Costas. And when it raining, pop in the low light lenses, and its like driving in the sunlight.

revfox

The thing for me with the pricey sunglasses, Costas (glass), is the level of clarity. I spent years with junky sunglasses because I ways broke them, scratched them up too much or lost them, etc. What I didn't realize was how damn blurry cheap glasses are and how easily plastic gets scratched. I do cringe every time I drop mine but I haven't had a pair break in many years. I may end up getting a pair with the sunrise lenses or the silver/ copper. It's hard to drop so much money when I don't know how they will function actually on the water.

I have heard a ton of good stuff about Natives as well. I have frames with Costa that I love though and I am super picky about fit and feel on my face.

Michael Toris

Btw, did you do a fucking intro? Because I have yet to spot one. You need to get your shit straight ole boy

This ain't a free for all.

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

benben reincarnated

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

bullship

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Grannyknot

WMT has made me a believer in the extremely overpriced shades.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

troutboy_II

I know I sound like a broken record, but I continue to recommend these, particularly for heavy cover situations:

http://www.smithoptics.com/Root/Men%27s/Sunglasses/Lifestyle/Guides-Choice/p/GCGPPABBK

The lens will darken and lighten - everybody knows that - but check out how much light a specific lens will let in when in the lightest setting.  You want a lot of light on most blue lines, but they will still darken enuff for driving, etc.  I have had great luck with these, including sending back a pair that I had for 4 years that had the covering/design stuff wearing off where I wore the croakies.  New pair - no questions.  That's service.

We have a spot here in Greenville that sells these at a discount :

http://www.fowlerspharmacy.com/

I would give them a call on any brand you like to get a price.  I've never been able to beat them and they've been here for over 20 years.  At the least, you may get their price to make somebody higher priced but local to you match the lower price.

That being said, I have just blown a new rod's worth fortune on prescription lens.  Getting old ain't the pits, but it has its moments p;-  If these don't work like advertised, I'll shift back to contacts, my Guides-Choice, and reader thingy on the hat brim!

My $.02.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

revfox

Quote from: wildmttrout on May 04, 2015, 22:04:37 PM
Btw, did you do a fucking intro? Because I have yet to spot one. You need to get your shit straight ole boy

What are you, the fucking police or something?

Michael Toris

Quote from: brettfox27 on May 05, 2015, 12:23:41 PM

Quote from: wildmttrout on May 04, 2015, 22:04:37 PM

What are you, the fucking police or something?
Nailed it.