News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themidge

Read Hillbilly Elegy and really enjoyed it. Now reading Pottlikker Papers by John Edge: https://www.amazon.com/Potlikker-Papers-History-Modern-South/dp/1594206554

Good so far, but not far enough in to give a true assessment.

sanjuanwormhatch

Big fan of Ron Rash and John T. Edge. 

Yallerhammer

Just read To Kill a Mockingbird again, haven't read it in a couple decades. Still good.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

I just read Don Starkell's Paddle to the Amazon. Interesting tale. A guy and his son hop into a canoe in Winnipeg, Manitoba. They paddle it up the Red River, down the Mississippi, then through the Intracoastal Waterway to the Mexican border. Then they paddle down the coasts of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama to South America. They paddle around the coasts of Colombia and Venezuela to Trinidad. Then they head up the Orinoco River, across to the Rio Negro, which they paddle down to the Amazon. Two years after they left Canada, they arrive at the mouth of the Amazon. Helluva trip.

I am currently reading the original 1818 version of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 08, 2018, 18:29:21 PM
I just read Don Starkell's Paddle to the Amazon. Interesting tale. A guy and his son hop into a canoe in Winnipeg, Manitoba. They paddle it up the Red River, down the Mississippi, then through the Intracoastal Waterway to the Mexican border. Then they paddle down the coasts of Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama to South America. They paddle around the coasts of Colombia and Venezuela to Trinidad. Then they head up the Orinoco River, across to the Rio Negro, which they paddle down to the Amazon. Two years after they left Canada, they arrive at the mouth of the Amazon. Helluva trip.

I am currently reading the original 1818 version of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus.

Would love to do something like that. I remember reading "Horry and the Waccamaw." I was ready to take off.

sanjuanwormhatch

Currently reading devil's highway.  I was hoping for more policy interspersed with the story but the story is pretty solid and well told.

sanjuanwormhatch

I'm a sucker for books like that.  A couple that come to mind are "Backcast" by Lou Urecek, "Braving It" by James Campbell, and "River of Doubt".

Yallerhammer

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 09, 2018, 09:31:10 AM

I'm a sucker for books like that.  A couple that come to mind are "Backcast" by Lou Urecek, "Braving It" by James Campbell, and "River of Doubt".

I've read and have a copy of "River of Doubt." Great story, and I wish we still had presidents like Teddy. I'll have to check the other two out.

Yallerhammer

Re-read this one a week or so ago, too.

sanjuanwormhatch

Harry Middleton is probably my favorite "fishing writer" of all time.  I think he is way underappreciated as an author in general, too. 

greg

I reread on the spine of time and the earth is enough about once a year. Read the bright country and rivers of memory. Hope to someday snag a copy of starlight creek.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: greg on March 11, 2018, 17:19:08 PMI reread on the spine of time and the earth is enough about once a year. Read the bright country and rivers of memory. Hope to someday snag a copy of starlight creek.

https://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,15169.0.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

Reading this....anything by HS is pretty good

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Beetle on April 10, 2018, 16:31:03 PM
Reading this....anything by HS is pretty good

I enjoyed that one a lot.