Alec Baldwin discharges firearm on set

Started by Trout Maharishi, October 21, 2021, 22:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

You have to wonder why the "prop gun" was fired at or in the direction of the Director of Photography?

Did he take aim at her? Was this some sort of sick prank? Will the truth ever be know? Will Dick finally screw Jane on Search for Tomorrow? The revolution will not be televised.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I use to load a 9mm round with no power, I'd just use a primer and add a plastic piece that loaded in the shell like the lead did. It was quite and packed a punch. I was using it to shoot coons, stray dogs, and cats with. It would make them dance but I never killed anything. I can't see how anyone that knows anything about guns could have let this happen. This isn't the first time this type of accident has taken place. With all the sound effects and camera angles available there wasn't any need to break some basic firearem safety, like treat every gun like it's loaded, and never point at something you don't intend to shoot and kill, and so on.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 24, 2021, 19:49:47 PMI use to load a 9mm round with no power, I'd just use a primer and add a plastic piece that loaded in the shell like the lead did. I was using it to shoot coons, stray dogs, and cats with. It would make them dance but I never killed anything. I can't see how anyone that knows anything about guns could have let this happen. This isn't the first time this type of accident has taken place.

Cavalier attitude... What do YOU do when someone hands you a gun and says it's unloaded or is a "Cold Gun"? You check and verify! and these are six shooters!

Reports are coming in that the crew took the guns off set for "target practice" and that both blanks and live rounds were collected during the search after the shooting.

Some movie "experts" are saying that there should never be a gun pointed at a person on set. And is some cases "remote" cameras are used when a gun is pointed directly at the viewer (camera).

Some legal "experts" are saying manslaughter, others are saying he's in deep shit civilly.

Time for A.B. to lawyer up... jis say'in
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

I was trained as a child never to point ANYTHING representing a firearm at ANYONE, period. Pretending to kill someone would have resulted in some form of exorcism. My, things have changed.

Trout Maharishi

Yea everybody hates guns, but they all want to shoot them.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

https://apnews.com/article/4ffe0087524c8d61c1701fb62cb95219

>>> The film's chief electrician Serge Svetnoy blamed producers for Hutchins' death in an emotional Facebook post on Sunday. Svetnoy said he had worked with Hutchins on multiple films and faulted "negligence and unprofessionalism" among those handling weapons on the set. He said producers hired an inexperienced armorer.

>>> Hollywood professionals say they're baffled by the circumstances and production crews have quickly stepped up safety measures.

Jeffrey Wright, who has worked on projects including the James Bond franchise and the upcoming movie "The Batman," was acting with a weapon on the set of "Westworld" when news broke of the shooting Thursday at a New Mexico ranch. "We were all pretty shocked. And it informed what we did from that moment on," he said in an interview Sunday at the Newport Beach Film Festival.

"I don't recall ever being handed a weapon that was not cleared in front of me — meaning chamber open, barrel shown to me, light flashed inside the barrel to make sure that it's cleared," Wright said. "Clearly, that was a mismanaged set."

Actor Ray Liotta agreed with Wright that the checks on firearms are usually extensive.

"They always — that I know of — they check it so you can see," Liotta said. "They give it to the person you're pointing the gun at, they do it to the producer, they show whoever is there that it doesn't work."

me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

At the end of the day, Baldwin pointed that gun and shot it after taking somebody's word that it wasn't loaded. If Jesus or my mama hands me a gun and says whatever about it, the first thing I'm gonna do is check the action or cylinder. Always.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Pansyman

Charge that arrogant bastard with manslaughter and sue his dick off
You can lead a horticulture<br />but you can't make her think.<br /><br />Only users lose weed.

jwgnc

Every gun you handle is loaded until you have inspected the breech yourself.  If it is said to be "blanks", unload them and reload yourself. 

I would expect the charge to be Negligent Homicide.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Big J

My take, more details need to come out.  From what I've read it sounds like an unexperienced Master Armorer.  Reports (unverified) state she is 24 and was recently on a podcast talking about how unexperienced she was and uncomfortable taking a similar job for a movie and how she didn't even know how to load and unload some of the guns. 

From the details I gather, my best guess is staff took the gun out shooting one day that they weren't filming.  Someone didn't properly clear the gun.  The armorer didn't properly clear the gun.  The assistant armorer didn't properly check for a "cold" gun.  They gave it to Alec Baldwin and he shot someone. 

Should Baldwin of checked the firearm before firing it?  IDK.  My understanding is it is the armorer's responsibility to make sure the firearm is loaded or unloaded to proper requirements for the scene.  Now Baldwin as the director of the movie might have responsibility as it looks like there was a history of neglect with that film's safety that obviously was not properly addressed.  Several reports of firearm safety issues and staff walking out because of it. 

Woolly Bugger

Listen to this veteran prom master explain what safety protocols were breached.

Close up shot of the gun being drawn
Dummy bullets should have been in the cylinder

https://nypost.com/2021/10/25/veteran-prop-master-lists-breaches-in-fatal-rust-shooting/
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Gets uglier and uglier every five minutes. Amateur hour.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006