News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Made a friend today

Started by rjs123, December 23, 2009, 18:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs123

Like I said in my previous post yesterday while I was fishing on the Smith I had a Blue Herron watching me from the bank probably not more that 10 feet away.  Well, the bird showed up again today and I tossed a 10 inch rainbow towards him.  The fish landed in a few inches of water right in front of the Herron.  The bird scooped it up and swallowed it down in about 15 seconds.  I caught a bunch more but decided it probably wasnt a good idea to feed any more to the Herron.  The bird tailed me the rest of the afternoon and was actually kind of strange.  Every time Id get a fish it would move toward me like it was going to go after the fish till I made a move toward it.  I didnt have the camera today. These are iphone pics.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

22midge

Robert take some pics and explain to the Heron that the browns are off-limits  0-- ;D ;D
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

rjs123

Dont know about the browns but they do like rainbows. :)

Al

We see the same thing at the Pechmann Center when trout are in the ponds. If I'm out there "testing" a new fly and I'm feeling benevolent I've fed a heron so many trout that I wonder if it will be able to take off.

Some times in the early spring when there is a hatch on the trout ponds that is centered around one of the corners of the pond you will see a heron take advantage of it and make his play for a easy meal.

5xTippett

In medieval times they were considered good eating. >:D 

rjs123

Quote from: 5xTippett on December 23, 2009, 23:04:10 PM
In medieval times they were considered good eating. >:D

Well Ben I would never consider eating one  :angel: but just today I was actually wonder if they could be eatin.  ;D

Fin

A couple of years ago we had a pet heron on the Shenandoah River.  It followed us for about a mile of our 3 mile float and we tossed him a couple of fresh fish treats.

rjs123

Ive been to the river 3 days in a row now and everyday the Heron shows up and sits on the bank watching me.  Yesterday it wasnt but 6 feet away.

I really need to get out more.  Now Im starting to talk to it.  :D

jwgnc

Quote from: rjs123 on December 25, 2009, 09:39:58 AM
I really need to get out more.  Now Im starting to talk to it.  :D

keep talkin to him, and try to get some tips - he's the best fisherman on the river!!
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

22midge

Robert as long as your doing all the talking its fine but.........when da bird starts talking back we got to get your hands out of all those chemicals for a few days.Merry Christmas up on da Smith.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life