News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Good Camping Trip

Started by Yallerhammer, July 12, 2016, 20:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/opH-uf-F2s4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A couple of buddies from the GA/NC line came up and went camping with me in the GSMNP last weekend. Between the weather and having too much fun and me being lazy, I didn't take a lot of pics.

But we did a lot of this:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Saw one of these:

Caught several of these:

A few of these:

And a whole bunch of these:

We ate a bunch of campfire food like this:

And just generally had a helluva great time. Already looking forward to the next one!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

driver

Search "All Things Wild Brook Trout" on Facebook book. And post this report. They will "LOVE" it[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Preferably one of those fried brookies in a hotdog bun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

benben reincarnated

Quote from: driver on July 12, 2016, 21:02:31 PM
Search "All Things Wild Brook Trout" on Facebook book. And post this report. They will "LOVE" it[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Preferably one of those fried brookies in a hotdog bun.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes.  Hell if he won't, I will. 

Yallerhammer

I love my native specks as much as any one of those yuppie bastards, but there ain't a damn thing wrong with occasionally eating a couple, either. And I sure as hell ain't gonna apologize for it, either. :) I doubt if three of us keeping two fish apiece for supper out of a whole watershed is gonna crash the population. I also released God knows how many fish, and could have easily have kept a limit. I have caught I don't know how many hundreds of  trout in GSMNP waters this year, and I have killed and eaten exactly seven (7) of those. The three otters we watched raping the creek Saturday morning ate more trout in fifteen minutes than we did all weekend, for sure. It's a sign of the times when you post pics of a fishing trip, and the only damn thing folks notice are the two on a plate.

And btw, those aren't specks on the plate, it's a brown and a rainbow. And they're not fried, they're grilled over the campfire coals. :D

benben reincarnated

Eat em all!  The majority of the creeks I see could use a little culling to help with the fish size and population IMHO.

Jason and I were saying to post the pics on that Facebook group because it would rile those guys up to see fish getting killed and eaten.  I don't give a shit either way what you do with the fish you catch.

Yallerhammer

On a side note, I got hold of an ancient unbranded 7'4" bamboo rod that I strung up and fished with some over the weekend. It fished pretty good, even with a too-light reel and three-weight line. I've got an old reel from ebay coming for it, think I might fix it up for a winter project. Probably not a good road to head down for my sanity and wallet's sake.  ;D

Yallerhammer

Quote from: benben reincarnated on July 13, 2016, 06:21:13 AM
Eat em all!  The majority of the creeks I see could use a little culling to help with the fish size and population IMHO.

Jason and I were saying to post the pics on that Facebook group because it would rile those guys up to see fish getting killed and eaten.  I don't give a shit either way what you do with the fish you catch.

Yeah, I understood you. My rant wasn't at y'all at all, it was at the folks you are talking about who act like trout are mystical, sacred creatures that should never be killed under any circumstances; and claim to appreciate nature, but don't understand a damn thing about the way it works. I've ran into a few of those over the years. Sorry if I came across as griping at y'all, that wasn't my intent. A lot of the small streams around here are about choked out with stunted specks and rainbows, it would probably be a good thing if more folks ate a few of them. No different from a farm pond full of stunted crappie or bluegills. I don't keep many fish, but I'm not at all above eating a mess every now and then, for sure.

Dougfish

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 13, 2016, 06:21:21 AM
On a side note, I got hold of an ancient unbranded 7'4" bamboo rod that I strung up and fished with some over the weekend. It fished pretty good, even with a too-light reel and three-weight line. I've got an old reel from ebay coming for it, think I might fix it up for a winter project. Probably not a good road to head down for my sanity and wallet's sake.  ;D

Beware. This is a bumpy, addicting trail.  :laugh:

Nice trip!  'c;  /'/
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Jfey

Quote from: Dougfish on July 13, 2016, 06:30:25 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 13, 2016, 06:21:21 AM

Beware. This is a bumpy, addicting trail.  :laugh:

Nice trip!  'c;  /'/

This and I became about 1/32 of the addict that Doug became.

Great trip.  Hard to beat a weekend outdoors. 0:0
Yup, going fishing

Grannyknot

Looks like a great time yallerhammer.
random question.  Why don't you pop the eyeballs out before cooking them?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Dee-Vo

You're a trout eating mutha. Looks like a blast. Love the owl!

I'm going to have to check out the Facebook brookie love page. Haven't even seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big J

Quote from: Dee-Vo on July 13, 2016, 09:38:21 AM
You're a trout eating mutha. Looks like a blast. Love the owl!

I'm going to have to check out the Facebook brookie love page. Haven't even seen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those guys will argue about some of the stupidest things. 

Not to mention there is some weirdo on there that keeps posting up a hotdog picture.  8)

Nice TR  /'/

Dee-Vo

Yaller, I hope you'll excuse me for straying off topic. I've only recently created a Facebook page. I've never been a fan, and I'm still not, but I needed to create one in order to create one for the business I manage as it's a powerful advertising tool. This explains my overall "oblivity" when it comes to things related.

Concerning the brookie love Facebook page, I checked it out. Meh. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem like anything all that special. I will add that it makes me happy to see the brookie drawing attention. I'm glad to see folks still interested in finding and supporting these fish.

How many of you heathens are associated with that page?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Grannyknot on July 13, 2016, 09:27:38 AM

I usually don't, but sometimes I do, especially if I'm cooking them for my wife. :)

Grannyknot

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 13, 2016, 11:56:00 AM
Quote from: Grannyknot on July 13, 2016, 09:27:38 AM

I usually don't, but sometimes I do, especially if I'm cooking them for my wife. :)

is that a burn i feel?
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.