News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Salmon Fishing Ban Possible This Year!

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 14, 2008, 21:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The sudden collapse of the central California chinook salmon fishery has prompted federal fisheries managers to consider closing this year's salmon-fishing season from northern Oregon to the Mexican border.

The Pacific Fishery Management Council was expected Friday to settle on three potential strategies to protect the dwindling salmon that remain alive in the ocean, including shutting down the season or severely limiting fishing.

The council is expected to chose a final fishing recommendation in April at its meeting in Seattle.
http://wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/2581329/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

glassfisher

SURPRISE!  It pisses me off that it takes near devastation of a species to generate a reaction, which in this case doesn't even address the root causes of the problem.  This is very similar to what happened with stripers in the northeast.  It's not just an ecological problem, but an economic problem as well... Yes, ecological problems do have economic impact as well!  What is the Pacific Fisheries Council recommending to address the root cause(s) of the problem like dam building and water diversion for irrigation?  Why is that discussion relegated to the last few sentences of the article?  Limiting/restricting catches is just a band-aid on a growing wound.  Without actions to address root cause(s) like dam building and water diversion a population collapse is inevitable.   >:(

Just my 2 cents
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.