Good idea, will help managed the resourses
4 (23.5%)
Good, but doubt it will have a positive effect on managing the resourses
2 (11.8%)
Another Tax but reasonable
2 (11.8%)
Hate it
3 (17.6%)
I have a lifetime NC fishing license so I'm grandfathered :)
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Woolly Bugger

http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/NCCRFL.htm

Now that we have to buy an annual license to fish the salt what is you opinion.
Resident: Annual $15, 10 Day $5
Non-Resident: Annual $30, 10 Day $10
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Correct me if I'm wrong but most nothern stated from Maine to Maryland don't impose a saltwater tax on fisherman, and they a able to manage the resourse through education and regulation....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

lepomis_mcro

i think its just another tax..i think the state will not enforce the saltwater regs anymore than they do against fresh water poachers.

just another way to line their pockets without having to really do anything, but collect our money
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Mstash

It's the reason I bought a life time last year. I think it was well spent I have been fishing to long now that I know it's something I'll be doing the rest of my life. And I have to much money invested in it to stop.we can only hope that our mony goes to the fishery. My thinking is if it's going to line someones pocket. Why don't they impose a Gamelands use permit to everyone. For years some of us have been asking that question. We as Fisherman and hunters have to have one. But the folks that go on gamelands to camp for the weekend and get drunk trash the campsites ride 4 weelers and Horses in and out of the streams aren't required to but a permit. That would be easy pocket money.

My .02

Mstash

boondoggle

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 08, 2006, 14:17:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but most nothern stated from Maine to Maryland don't impose a saltwater tax on fisherman, and they a able to manage the resourse through education and regulation....

But you have to buy a bay sport license to fish the MD tidal waters...it's brackish f.w.i.w.
Why aren't there any saltwater streams?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

phg

We've had this debate before, and a surprising number of saltwater recreational anglers are in favor of it.  As for the money, it does not fund the NCDMF.  It's use is restricted to education, grants and access acquisition.  The money can not be used for enforcement, salaries or other departmental expenses.  From the NCDMF WEB site FAQ's:
QuoteHow will the CRFL money be spent?
It will go into two marine resource funds and be distributed through the Marine Fisheries and Wildlife Resources commissions. It must be used to manage, protect, restore, develop, cultivate, conserve and/or enhance North Carolina's marine resources.
Vague enough for you?

The commonly cited reason for peddling the licenses is to give recreational fishermen a stronger voice in Raleigh.  Personally, I don't see that, but everyone else seems to.

Powderkeg

I just hope they enforce it.  Maybe this will keep some of the non-sportsmen away from the waters.  I hope a by product of this program will be a more mind conscious group caring for our natural resources.....people who care about the fishing and the waters we use.  Maybe this group of people will carry their trash home with them and not leave it at the beach.  Just a hope!

Eddie

Bloy

Does this mean that any vacationer spending time at the beach now needs a license just to drown shrimp and blood worms from the  waters edge?
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

phg

Anyone over the age of 16, yup.  Commercial fishing piers and party boats will have group licenses, so individual licenses aren't needed if that's the kind of fishing you do....

Txfly

It also allows a bit of culling to see who fishes where and how the dept should be spending the money...They've had this in Tx for a while and it's a good program...Last year though, they decided you need to buy a fishing license , which isn't worth the paper it's printed on....cause you still can't fish unless you get a "freshwater tag", "saltwater tag", or a "combo"....Smart fuckers, ain't they?

Trout Maharishi

Me and the Dali Lama are zempt ;hb

"A free license waiver will be available for subsistence anglers from their local Department of Social Services".
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flyinhigh

Not sure what they plan to do with the money, but I do believe the theory that it will give sportsmen more voice vs the commercial side when bills are being discussed in Raleigh. e.g. net bans and such.

Concerning enforcement, my experience has been that DMF enforcement officers are much more visible than the inland fisheries guys. In the last 30 years, I've been checked (license) one time while fishing inland waters. Even though I don't spend as many days in the salt, I've been checked four times in the last three years. Boat fishing on the Shallotte River ( full check of boat registration, safety equipment, and cooler/livewell). Boat Fishing at Cape Lookout area, cooler/livewell checked two times in the same day. Surf/Jetty fishing at Fort Macon area (license check). Saw this same guy go along the surf area and check everyone's coolers.

I was out on the Boque Inlet pier last week having a coffee and observing the sharks attacking King baits. The officer showed up with his measuring device and finds an 8" Trout in some guy's cooler. The guy claims he( :angel:) didn't know it was there and that his son ( >:D) must have put it in there. Too bad. I heard the guy was fined $150. Good deal. Glad to see the man checking.  0--0