Unlimited Salmon / Steelhead News Update...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 25, 2011, 10:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Emergency closure for winter steelhead likely on Skagit

All signs point to another emergency fishing closure for winter steelhead in the Skagit River system. The closure should be announced next month.

"The Skagit wild steelhead forecast is going to be down again, and it hasn't met the minimum escapement in quite a while," said Brett Barkdull, a state Fish and Wildlife biologist in the northern Puget Sound region. "The numbers are falling off the table again."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/othersports/2017083605_outn25.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

The salmon came back.

After four long years of record-low numbers, the fall-run chinook salmon population surged back from the ocean this year, once again filling the Sacramento Valley's rivers on their spawning run.Hatcheries on the American River, the Feather River and Battle Creek – the region's three largest – saw the return of more than double the number of fish in 2010, and five times as many as in 2009.

Anglers, wounded by the unprecedented cancellation of fishing seasons in 2008 and 2009, are back on the water. Local salmon is back on dinner menus.

Maybe most important of all, the rivers seem to have life again.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/12/25/4144777/salmon-rebound-in-sacramento-valley.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

jwgnc

Caught my only wild winter Steelhead on a fly from the Skagit.  Bald eagles watched.  It was a sight to see.  Caught my only Dolly Varden there too.  Or was it the Sauk??

Hate to see these famous old rivers having a hard time.  I feel fortunate to have fished there in the "good old days".

I'm afraid Michigan's Au Sable will go the same route.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/science/a-strong-year-for-spawning-salmon-in-maines-rivers.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=salmon&st=cse

QuoteErnie Atkinson waded up Old Stream on a warm fall afternoon, peering through polarized sunglasses to scan the streambed. Before long, he pointed out a place where the bottom looked different.

"You can see how the gravel is a lot cleaner right here — it kind of shines," said Mr. Atkinson, a fishery biologist with the Maine Department of Marine Resources. "O.K., we've got one, two, four redds right here."

Redds are places where spawning salmon use their tails to dig holes in the gravel, deposit their eggs and bury them. For much of the past 20 years, counting redds here was a grim task; by 2000, the population of Atlantic salmon here had fallen so low that they were declared an endangered species in eight Maine rivers.

-0- -0- -0- -0-
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

http://sportsyakima.com/2011/12/as-clear-as-mud-white-salmon-river-a-polarizing-subject/

Once a steelheader's paradise, now a century's worth of silt.

That's the way anglers look at the White Salmon River, bemoaning its present condition. Fish biologists and hydrologists look at it and see a bright future.
Avid fisherman Ken Taylor can't count the number of times he's made the two-hour drive from his Selah home to the mouth of the White Salmon — the big White Salmon in angler parlance, to delineate it from the Little White Salmon five miles to the west — in pursuit of steelhead or chinook.

Two months after Condit Dam was breached, though, looking at the sediment that has filled in the river channel, Taylor thinks those days are over.

from American Rivers....

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Thanks for the article – interesting. 

It seems likely that Taylor is not the only angler troubled.  He does use the collective "everybody knew".

Polarization appears to be the norm on most every issue.   No surprise. 

Libbee's comment "This is very typical of our 'give me what I want now' society" is noteworthy.  I wonder if we are losing our ability to discover, re-discover, adapt, adjust, and compromise, with an eye towards the future.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Marine Harvest ASA, the world's biggest salmon farmer, started re-catching fish that escaped from an enclosure in Nordfjord, northern Norway, after the storm Dagmar damaged nets over the Christmas holidays.

It isn't clear how many fish escaped from one enclosure, which held 139,000 salmon with an average weight of 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds), the Oslo-based company said on its website today.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-02/marine-harvest-salmon-escape-after-dagmar-storm-damages-nets.html

b';
me -There's a season?

Aka

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 03, 2012, 09:35:43 AM
Marine Harvest ASA, the world's biggest salmon farmer, started re-catching fish that escaped from an enclosure in Nordfjord, northern Norway, after the storm Dagmar damaged nets over the Christmas holidays.

It isn't clear how many fish escaped from one enclosure, which held 139,000 salmon with an average weight of 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds), the Oslo-based company said on its website today.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-01-02/marine-harvest-salmon-escape-after-dagmar-storm-damages-nets.html

b';

My dad lives about 5 miles upstream of a fish farm (atlantic salmon) on the Huon river in Tasmania and they have almost routine escapes. I spoke with him last week and he had just gotten back from 'sport netting' (done from his sailboat) 9 fish which he plans to cold smoke.
I guess the point is that there is no way to produce farm raised salmon, or any farmed fish, without escapement. The only way to keep farmed fish from mixing with wild populations is to keep them in ponds or some type of pen like a hatchery has.

Woolly Bugger

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20120108/BC-fish-farm-opponent-faces-defamation-charges-120108.html

Fish farm opponent fights defamation charges in B.C.

VANCOUVER — Don Staniford says he's never had a fist fight -- not even during his most ferocious action as a rugby player in high school or as a soccer player at university in the United Kingdom.

Change the subject to B.C.'s salmon farming industry, though, and the British-born activist with long, curly hair is more than willing to take on the world's largest salmon-farming companies in the ring of public opinion.

His outspoken criticism has earned him an appearance at the Supreme Court of B.C. on Jan. 16 where he must defend himself against allegations from Mainstream Canada, the province's second largest salmon farming company, that he defamed the organization.

The case could cost him $125,000 if he loses.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The president of the Atlantic Salmon Federation is meeting this week with the minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, armed with a new study to make the case for millions of dollars more in federal funding to help restore the wild Atlantic salmon fishery.

"We felt the contribution that wild Atlantic salmon — both the recreational fishery, the First Nation fishery and related tourism — was being undervalued by the federal government, and we've seen over the last 20 years death by a thousand cuts," federation president Bill Taylor said in an interview Monday.

"At a time when wild Atlantic salmon need the most help, our federal government — in this case DFO — their budget for doing their job is at the lowest point ever."

Taylor said Fisheries and Oceans Canada's budget for its salmon work has been halved, to about $12 million. The federation wants funding doubled, restored to what it calls the mid-80s level of $25 million annually.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/50418-federation-wild-atlantic-salmon-stock-needs-help
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111219152508.htm

Hatcheries Change Salmon Genetics After a Single Generation

ScienceDaily (Dec. 19, 2011) — The impact of hatcheries on salmonids is so profound that in just one generation traits are selected that allow fish to survive and prosper in the hatchery environment, at the cost of their ability to thrive and reproduce in a wild environment.

The findings, published this week in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, show a speed of evolution and natural selection that surprised researchers.
They confirmed that a primary impact of hatcheries is a change in fish genetics, as opposed to a temporary environmental effect.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

'Salmon Hero'

The salmon that come to spawn in local waters have probably considered him one for years, but local conservationist Elmer Rudolph has now been given the title of "Salmon Hero" by his peers.

Rudolph, who is also the Sapperton Fish and Game Club president, was bestowed the title by the Pacific Salmon Foundation and Fraser Basin Council last month after decades of work in restoring the Brunette River to a habitable waterway for salmon.

"It' feels good," said the ever-deferential Rudolph, "But as I mentioned when I got it... as far as I'm concerned, all I've been doing is just carrying on the work that the earlier members of the club started way back in 1970."

Read more: http://www.royalcityrecord.com/Westminster+named+Salmon+Hero/5986556/story.html#ixzz1jJ56lOJM
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A new federal report says it will cost as much as $2.1 billion to restore the endangered steelhead trout to Southern California rivers and streams over the next 100 years.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/01/13/state/n201651S75.DTL#ixzz1jY0lCIdv

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

By now, everyone should be aware Chinook salmon are slated to be reintroduced to the San Joaquin, perhaps as soon as this year. And like in other California rivers where salmon have been re-established after a long absence, those fish will either be off limits to anglers or strictly catch and release.

But what seems to be lost in all of this, even though it's spelled out in the Draft Environmental Impact Report, is that the presence of salmon will also mean the end of all trout fishing and, potentially, bass fishing.

No more trout fishing in the San Joaquin? It says so right in Section 3.3 of Chapter 21, which quotes California Fish and Game Commission policy: "Domesticated or nonnative fish species will not be planted, or fisheries based on them will not be developed or maintained, in drainages of salmon waters, where ... they may adversely affect native salmon populations by competing with, preying upon or hybridizing with them."

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/02/01/2706427/salmon-comes-at-a-cost.html#storylink=cpy
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?