Pentax raises the bar in waterproof camera..

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 18, 2010, 11:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

The new W90 looks like it might be the best bet for fly fishing photography.

One new feature that makes it outstanding is the "microscope" mode. This allows for extreme closeups and has LED lighting around the lens to give shadow free photos.  ;hb

The 5x zoom is better that the Olympus' 3x and it's 5mm to 25mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 28mm wide angle to 140mm telephoto) offers a short telephoto which is lacking on the Olympus series

HD movies are also now on the table for waterproof cameras and I'm feeling that my old 1030 SW is getting out of date.

Here is a blog on the new camera with some "microscope" shots...

http://nedbunnell.blogspot.com/2010/04/w90s-digital-microscope-mode.html

Street Price: $279.00

Note the new Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 has most of the same features but it doesn't appear to have the same lighting for super close-ups....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

glassfisher

Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Rhody

got one one the way, been seeing nothing but good reviews and finally pulled the trigger today, will report back

rhody
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

diaz dassie

Canon is where it's at for me, although their newest H20 digi looks like a frickin fisher price toy. Dunno if I can bring myself to coughing out $320 on it. Apparently the features on it do not seem too appealing for fly fishing photogs, so maybe on the compact h20 proof digi front I may become a convert. I need one soon though as I will be headed to VA next weekend to prey on the fishes of SNP and I NEED EVIDENCE FOR THE WIFE as I'm doin a solo trip!!! She believes I take alot of BS photos of other folks fish(some of which is true) and drink all the time(which is very true)... :angel:

mattnmtns

I have the W80, great waterproof/rugged camera. Looks like there are some minor improvements on the W90.  I did a lot of research and the W80 won out on many areas over Olympus, and Cannons. The only con is it doesn't always do well in low light indoor situations, but that isn't what I bought this camera for. Perfect no but compact, waterproof, 12 MP, 5x optical zoom, and HD video can't beat it IMO. 

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: diaz dassie on April 20, 2010, 15:56:30 PM
Canon is where it's at for me, although their newest H20 digi looks like a frickin fisher price toy. Dunno if I can bring myself to coughing out $320 on it. Apparently the features on it do not seem too appealing for fly fishing photogs, so maybe on the compact h20 proof digi front I may become a convert. I need one soon though as I will be headed to VA next weekend to prey on the fishes of SNP and I NEED EVIDENCE FOR THE WIFE as I'm doin a solo trip!!! She believes I take alot of BS photos of other folks fish(some of which is true) and drink all the time(which is very true)... :angel:

looks a lot like a fisher/price toy and you'll find the 35-105mm equivalent zoom isn't wide enough both pentax and olympus have a 28mm eq. wide angel  and it's built like a toad 4.08 x 2.63 x 1.92 in./103.6 x 66.9 x 48.8mm won't fit in a pocket like the oly or pentax which are a lot thinner....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Waterproof Camera Group Test

DP Review compares:

* Canon PowerShot D10
    * Fuji FinePix Z33WP
    * Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 (mju Tough 8000 in Europe)
    * Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 (mju Tough 6000 in Europe)
    * Pentax Optio W60
    * Pentax Optio W80
    * Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (DMC-FT1 in Europe)
me -There's a season?

diaz dassie

Sold, purchased for $299 on ebay from a power seller, we'll see how this pans out. Anyone know where I can buy a helmet (with Carolina Panthers decals) now so I don't crack my lid open? o-o

mattnmtns

The W80 has a lot of features that will help you take better pictures, learn how to use them.  Hint use program mode.  Also learn how to use the "green" mode, no it is not that kind of green.  The trash/delete button is green, but you can program 4 easy access settings so you can easily change them while the camera is in the program shooting mode. I have mine set for easy access to ISO, Focus, Light metering, and white balance.  Another hint.  Use the shade white balance, really brings out earth tones and gives your pictures a more natural look.  Also learn to use drive mode, you can take continuous action shots.  The blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time theory applies here.

Also I would consider getting an extra battery especially for longer trips.  The battery life is less than stellar, especially when cold and if using the camera for video.  Shooting video sucks more than a Brazillian hooker trying to get through Panama.

glassfisher

What's the major differences between the W80 and 90?  Could probably figure it out if I was sober, rough day   0--0

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: glassfisher on April 21, 2010, 20:55:14 PM
What's the major differences between the W80 and 90?  Could probably figure it out if I was sober, rough day   0--0

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

One new feature that makes it outstanding is the "microscope" mode.
This allows for extreme closeups and has LED lighting

http://snapsort.com/compare/Pentax_Optio_W80-vs-Pentax_Optio_W90

me -There's a season?

glassfisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 21, 2010, 21:43:19 PM
Quote from: glassfisher on April 21, 2010, 20:55:14 PM

more like 100  ;D 

rjs123

Been thinking about this too long and cant afford another dunking with my Canon 20D.  Its way too heavy anyway so I havent been carrying it much lately. Cant afford the extra hundred bucks so I ordered the "Pentax Optio W80 Waterproof 12.1MP Digital Camera with 5x Wide Angle with Triple Shake Reduction" today.  Saw it a few bucks cheaper but I played it safe and got it off Amazon for 171.00.

MFTG

maybe a bit tangential but...

my PnS is an Optio W10.  old for sure by today's standards but it was cheap, on clearance from a store that was closing up.  I had a LimpAss 1030SW before it, and though the Oly was one tough camera, the photos were almost uniformly washed out or piss poor for some other reason.  The Pentax has been an outstanding replacement...their W-series cameras are exceptional tools.

I also have a D40x but my propensity to drown cameras prevents me from the eventual cameracide that would ensue.