notes form teh drake about euro nymphing...

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 10, 2021, 13:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Note: stolen from Luau 2021 Trip Report by Randall Dee

The clouds finally burned off, so we sat down to take a break and watch Chris do his thing. I could tell that red dog was a little perplexed. So I asked her, "what's up girl?"

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"Dad, why does that guy fish like that?"

"It's called Euro nymphing, his soul is broken. Don't ask him how things are going, he'll just say 21 or some shit."

"That's fucked up Dad, I can't watch".

"Yeah" I said, "just look away"........

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Any subsurface BS postdating Sawyer is analogous to fishing with bait!!!  I agree with the perplexed dog and his master's diagnosis – "his soul is broken".

https://flylifemagazine.com/frank-sawyer-the-foundation-of-modern-nymph-fishing/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Trout Maharishi

It's all been downhill since G.E.M. Skues came on the scene. Eggs, squirmy wormy, mop flies, y2ks, san juan worms and a million others. I only fish dry flies up stream to rising fish. :laugh:
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I was joking about techniques after Sawyer.  I know very little about the euro style and really have no time to investigate.  Infiltrating the golf circles, who are predominantly conservative republicans, remains on my front burner.  A-a-ron in a recent phone call reminded me of the political lean of most golfers.  Permeating the golf scene has provided much knowledge and complementary ammo.   

What I do know about the euro angling seems fascinating.   I know of an angler from the Blacksburg VA area that has used something similar for more than 40 years.  He still fishes with a long fly rod, fly reel, but with heavy mono (like Maxima, no fly line) with lighter tippet attached.  He 'slings' flies, bait, lures, whatever is working, and always fishing in close.

Interesting discussion. 

https://www.maineflyfish.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31680-is-euro-nymphing-really-fly-fishing/
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

Hell, dries, nymphs, indicator, Euro -- it don't matter. I can get skunked either way just as good.

Yallerhammer

They act like it's new. I'm 53. The old 80 year old dudes I learned to fly fish from when I was 12 fished a pair of weighted nymphs dead-drifted on a long rod strung with mono.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on August 11, 2021, 08:13:27 AMI was joking about techniques after Sawyer.  I know very little about the euro style and really have no time to investigate.  Infiltrating the golf circles, who are predominantly conservative republicans, remains on my front burner.  A-a-ron in a recent phone call reminded me of the political lean of most golfers.  Permeating the golf scene has provided much knowledge and complementary ammo.   

What I do know about the euro angling seems fascinating.   I know of an angler from the Blacksburg VA area that has used something similar for more than 40 years.  He still fishes with a long fly rod, fly reel, but with heavy mono (like Maxima, no fly line) with lighter tippet attached.  He 'slings' flies, bait, lures, whatever is working, and always fishing in close.

Interesting discussion. 

https://www.maineflyfish.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31680-is-euro-nymphing-really-fly-fishing/

Thankfully golf is one of those sports you don't have to talk to your playing partners if you don't want to.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Yallerhammer on August 12, 2021, 19:02:06 PMThey act like it's new. I'm 53. The old 80 year old dudes I learned to fly fish from when I was 12 fished a pair of weighted nymphs dead-drifted on a long rod strung with mono.

I remember a bleached trout worm on a single hook with mono line being popular in the valley.
― Charles Bukowski