this may have been illegal, but...

Started by badankles, June 07, 2006, 12:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

yesterday morning, i read a post where someone mentioned that they'd hoped a big bass would hit a little blue gill while they were bringing it in...well, i tried it and...

i went out to the river (smaller creek) for a brief break the same day. it was spotty rain with occasional sun so tied on a #18 wet fly gold wrapped, red hackle body and tail, and white wings.

hooked a little blue gill. broke off a little 12" longnose gar when he went airborne.   ;D  hooked another blue gill, as he was flopping and splashing, i noticed a dark shape making it's way toward me. i thought about the earlier post so i left the little guy on to see what would happen.

i thought it was a bass, but then i saw the long bill snatched the blue gill. that was so cool.  :o 8)  he wouldn't let go. he worked the blue gill down then it was gone. i guess during the act and the struggle, the fly came off and hooked him on the bill.

not as big as the last one and no acrobats, but was awesome experience.   ;D

here's my little alligator fish (camera phone, again):
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

a closer look:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

Russ

Why would that be illegal?  It's like fishing with minnows only your minnow was bigger than most ;D.  How did you release that thing?  Did you lip it like a bass?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Russ on June 07, 2006, 13:44:26 PM
Why would that be illegal?  It's like fishing with minnows only your minnow was bigger than most ;D.  How did you release that thing?  Did you lip it like a bass?

using game fish for bait? may be illegal but fun none the less....  >:D
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

badankles

Quote from: Russ on June 07, 2006, 13:44:26 PM
...How did you release that thing?  Did you lip it like a bass?

very carefully.  >:D  the hook was barbless, so i made sure he's no longer thrashing then use the "long nose" forceps.  ;D  yeah, the fly slipped in between the teeth.  you can see it in the second pic.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

larrybug

nice fish? i heard you could catch them with green yarn like a top water worm

streamer

Bad Ankles....Were you on The Neuse again? I've caught a few there.

Streamer
Remember...We all live downstream.

badankles

Quote from: streamer on June 08, 2006, 14:18:50 PM
Bad Ankles....Were you on The Neuse again? I've caught a few there.

Streamer

nah, it'd be a while until i'd returned to the scene of the crime.  though i might park at the canoe launch next time.  it was crabtree creek under ligons mill dam.

Damselfly

That's one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time!
I've had bass chase hooked bream, a bigger brookie bite a little brook, and even a big brown chase a hooked rainbow, but never managed to actually bring on of those in. And I've wanted to catch a gar too- I think they're beautiful, prehistoric-looking fish.
Good job!