News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Saturday

Started by 5xTippett, September 11, 2011, 14:10:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5xTippett

They have finally quit the Saturday afternoon generation on the Smith, and I figured the Yankees should have abandoned the beach by now, too.  Highway 220 seems to be the route of choice for returning Yankees going back to Ohio on Saturday afternoons.  I headed North with light traffic for once.  I hadn't been up there in close to six weeks, nor had I fished for trout in six weeks.  I did not set the world on fire to put it mildly, but it was nice to get out.  I fished just with beetles and caught maybe 10 all total.  One was a hair over 14 inches.  I saw some midges and I am reasonably certain I could have caught more fish if I had switched, but I wasn't in the mood.  The beetles normally cull out the sardine sized fish anyway.

Trout Maharishi

So glad you are going to be at the WNC Expo showing everyone how to tie that beetle, I know it will draw a crowd 'c;
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

5xTippett

TM, You do realize that I am going to have to kick your rear! >:D

tattdflythrower

glad to here about the generation bd;0 . i got to hit it up for a few hours thurs. managed 3 browns in bassett  before the water started rising.
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

troutrus

Very nice fish. They seem to be getting thicker bodied up there. 
Could you show a picture of the beetle you use?

Gofisher

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

5xTippett

"Could you show a picture of the beetle you use? "  Check the first fishie's mouth.

benben reincarnated

Nice work.   'c;

I tied up some beetles on a whim but never tried them, may need to break them out now.

Friar Tuck

Not specific to the Smith or this post, but I've found that a good beetle pattern produces well into December.

Al

Glad to see you are back at it Ben. We missed you on the Smith. 

Yes, the fish seem a tad bigger this year. Not sure what exactly has caused it but looks to be a good thing. Scott Smith should have all the sampling data correlated soon and will give us an update at the next SRTU meeting on December 1st.

5xTippett

Al, I talked to Scott last week.  I don't remember him saying that the fish were any longer, but he thinks they are a little fatter.  The slot limit hasn't had time to work yet, that's a year or two away.  The difference would probably be due to the ramping of the generators and the less scouring as a result.  The hatches were a lot stronger this year and lasted longer.  It will be interesting to see what he finds when he analyzes his data.

Holmes

Thats some good stuff there. I love the spots on those browns down there, beautiful fish for sure. 'c;

5xTippett

Petey, the browns in that river look different from most I have seen.  I am convinced they are a different strain. 

dossphoto

There has been no true macroinvertebrate study on the Smith recently.  The Friends of Philpott sample in the tribs that flow into Philpott.   And even then they are just getting a steam health index similar to a save our streams sampling.