News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Salty Salty

Started by Big J, July 01, 2014, 07:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Have a college friend who recently started up a Saltwater Fishing Charter on NNK Peninsula.  He's been asking questions about saltwater fly fishing as he wants to get into it.  Got him hooked up with a setup and his first two trips were more exotic than anything I've ever been on.  First trip was to Langkawi Island and his next was to Alaska for Kings and Sockeye.  Lucky peckerhead.  Decided to make a trip up to his place to show him a few things about fly fishing.  He knows very little about fly fishing, but the man can put you on some fish and let you work them.  Plan was to fish the flats for redfish, but the cold winter and spring has delayed their arrival.  Backup plan was to fish for the residential stripers in the mouth of the bay.  This fish are 1 to 5 years old and are waiting to grow so they can join the big boys that run the east coast.  The average size is 14 to 20 inches with a few residential stripers that can hit around 30 inches. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Not your stereotypical image of coastal towns.  There was corn, corn, and more corn.

Arrived Saturday around 4 pm and the bay was too murky and wind too brutal to mess around with the fly rod.  We just decided to lounge around town and get some seafood.

This was the bomb.  Rockefeller Oysters.  Cheese, onion, bacon, and some Chesapeake Bay seasoning.

Crab legs were a must for me too.

Sun setting at the dock.

Next morning we got up as high tide was coming out of the river.  We took his jon boat out for the morning.  We were up to watch the sun rise.

Lots of duck blinds on the bay as well.

And lots of Osprey nests.  They are a cool bird.

We got into lots of perch and a few stripers as well at the first location.  I stuck with the fly rod the whole time while my buddy messed with the spin gear.

First ocean striper on a fly.

Another striper.

Off to location two.

Better striper.

Striper of the day.  Hit like a freight train behind a rock pile. 

After that fishing a little bit longer and getting nothing we decided to head back for some brunch and relaxing.

His dog would fetch a tennis ball all day long if you'd let him.

Around 1 we took the big boat out.

Fishing was slow and the wind had picked up.  We messed around at a couple locations.  Caught some perch and my friend caught a small striper.  We messed around with the casting net and called it a day.

I'll be back up there come end of July to mess around with the flats when the drum come in.   d:b

If your ever up in the DC area and want to take the long way home, hit up my friend.  Tell him I sent you and he'll hook you up.

http://www.chubbyscharter.com/

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

benben reincarnated

Fancy man fishing from a bote.    V:;

Jfey

Fun couple of days for sure.
Yup, going fishing

OldDominionAngler

Nice J, I have an aunt who moved to the northern neck 30 years ago and never looked back.  It's a different world over there...I mean that in a good way.

Nice stripers but those Oysters Rockefeller needs some green in 'em!

Big J

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on July 01, 2014, 09:00:07 AM
Nice J, I have an aunt who moved to the northern neck 30 years ago and never looked back.  It's a different world over there...I mean that in a good way.

Nice stripers but those Oysters Rockefeller needs some green in 'em!

I liked it up there.  I'm not a big ocean/beach town person, but that whole area I could get use too. 

Agree on the Oysters Rockefellers as well.  Some spinach would of been a nice touch.

TheYiman

Native Fisher

Home country. T town bridge and guessing Potomac River tributaries..

Onslow

Well damn, that was neat. 

Spent the first 11 years of my life near the bay.  The blues were effing awesome back in 79.  There were several occasions when by father and two older brothers caught 250 blues in one day averaging 4-5 pounds.

Big J

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on July 01, 2014, 11:18:24 AM

Spent the first 11 years of my life near the bay.  The blues were effing awesome back in 79.  There were several occasions when by father and two older brothers caught 250 blues in one day averaging 4-5 pounds.

My friend had a blue take his soft plastic swimbait right at the boat.  About ripped the swimbait in half.  Seem like a fun fish, but bite tippet would be a must from what I understand. 

Transylwader

Quote from: Big J on July 01, 2014, 11:47:34 AM
Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on July 01, 2014, 11:18:24 AM

My friend had a blue take his soft plastic swimbait right at the boat.  About ripped the swimbait in half.  Seem like a fun fish, but bite tippet would be a must from what I understand.
Elf (bluefish) as we call em in Saffa have some bastardized teeth, their saliva has anticoagulant. Not a good idea to try lip land or handle much for that matter. Bleed them properlyand you got a fish fry. I get away with firing 30lb mono. Wire trace fucks up a precision bomb cast one time, shoe shine. Say, J, didn't you lip land a speckled trout? :P
Stripers in the fall in the Bay /'/

Big J

Quote from: Transylader on July 01, 2014, 12:03:20 PM
Say, J, didn't you lip land a speckled trout? :P

Yes, yes I did.  I'm a MAN.

Dougfish

Wait, wait for it...........

Dougfish

And FYI:
Anybody else want to move to the NN? Mom's house in Warsaw is going on the market soon.

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on July 01, 2014, 12:39:30 PM
And FYI:
Anybody else want to move to the NN? Mom's house in Warsaw is going on the market soon.

Is it on the water?