News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

I used to shoot handguns regularly as hobby, due to past shortages I learned my lesson several years ago and although I have not bought any ammo in 2-3 years I have enough in all calibers I shoot to last many years at average shooting range pace.

And if zombies attack I can easily arm my cul-de-sac.

Onslow

Quote from: Phil on April 21, 2020, 06:48:43 AMOnslow -- yes, WGC.

The hoarding ammo issue? I don't -- I'm not hobby shooting for fun as much now because so many others are hoarding, just conserving what I have. No ammo is available in stores or online presently. It's all been snatched up by hoarders, just like toilet paper. Onslow is correct -- I think it's a form of anxiety control for some.

I've probably heard you shoot.  I've spent much time working on homes in near vicinity.

Phil

Quote from: Onslow on April 21, 2020, 07:07:56 AM
Quote from: Phil on April 21, 2020, 06:48:43 AMOnslow -- yes, WGC.

The hoarding ammo issue? I don't -- I'm not hobby shooting for fun as much now because so many others are hoarding, just conserving what I have. No ammo is available in stores or online presently. It's all been snatched up by hoarders, just like toilet paper. Onslow is correct -- I think it's a form of anxiety control for some.

I've probably heard you shoot.  I've spent much time working on homes in near vicinity.

I haven't bothered to fish the creek that runs through there -- probably some browns in it, though.

Woolly Bugger

This just in —- another big spike in gun sales! Nothing like riots in the streets to cause another splurge of buyers!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

You think this caused a spike, wait until November 2020.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 01, 2020, 17:34:24 PMThis just in —- another big spike in gun sales! Nothing like riots in the streets to cause another splurge of buyers!

It would be interesting to learn the demographic responsible for the spike.  Do you think it is the paranoid that already owns multiple firearms or new buyers?

I'm going to contribute to the spike in the golfing industry.  Yes, I dabble with golf and need a newer set of clubs.  My present clubs are over 25 years old.  No, I ain't any good at the game.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 02, 2020, 15:47:37 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 01, 2020, 17:34:24 PMThis just in —- another big spike in gun sales! Nothing like riots in the streets to cause another splurge of buyers!

It would be interesting to learn the demographic responsible for the spike.  Do you think it is the paranoid that already owns multiple firearms or new buyers?

I'm going to contribute to the spike in the golfing industry.  Yes, I dabble with golf and need a newer set of clubs.  My present clubs are over 25 years old.  No, I ain't any good at the game.

My inside source says repeat buyers... adding to the arsenal
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

I think I have all the guns I need but I am definitely buying more ammunition.

Al

I think I have all the guns I need but I am definitely buying more ammunition.

Onslow

Quote from: Big J on June 02, 2020, 08:41:17 AMYou think this caused a spike, wait until November 2020.

Apparently you spend time with people I don't.  Please fill me in on the latest gossip.

Onslow

If one is overcome with anxiety, why not make a nut mix consisting of walnuts, pecans, cashews, pistachios, and dried blueberries?  This nutrient rich snack will lower your anxiety, and keep one young at heart, literally.

If one makes a trip to the ammo store, I bet there will be a soda, and snack crackers consumed along the way.  This stuff is poison, and the bullets are won't help one's anxiety. Sometimes our most threatening enemy is ourselves.

Big J

I'm not saying one way or another about it, just historically election years have been high gun sale years. Just look at the Hillary/Trump election. High sales. And Hillary never campaigned hard on gun control. Biden is campaigning pretty hard on gun control. Just predicting November gun sales to pick up and if Biden wins, Dec.- Feb. will be bonkers. I don't need any new toys. Even though I've been eyeballing Dan Wesson 10mm's.

Big J

And here is an article I read earlier that is saying they believe 40% of purchases are first time gun buyers and 40% of those numbers are female. 

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/retailers-40-of-2020-gun-buyers-are-first-timers-and-40-of-those-are-female/

People are scared.  People in big cities are seeing that the police are not there to protect you.  People are being dragged out of their vehicles and beaten.  Businesses are burning.  People are starting to realize that it is your own responsibility for you and your families protection. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on June 03, 2020, 07:44:47 AMPeople are scared. 

Correction:  Some people are scared.

And I doubt if "people in big cities" are responsible for the increase in gun sales.  It is likely those folks in the burbs and rural areas.

The best protection for "you and your families" is that mass between your ears.  If that gray matter tells you to purchase a firearm for protection, then do it.  Approximately 2/3 of the remaining U.S. population might take another approach.

I'm not sure where gun policies rank on the spectrum of America's concerns/priorities.  My bet is healthcare is number 1, and even that baffles me ---- is it the exorbitant cost that some have to pay, is it the lack of care for ourselves, is it a compassion issue for our fellow humans without care, etc.

My number 1 concern is 'the gullibility and blind credulity of the American public'.  This encompasses all issues – guns, healthcare, environment, immigration, politics, worldly affairs, religion, social matters, etc. and the disinformation spewed on social media, traditional media, politicians, the cloud/internet, and all individuals with their heads permanently embedded in their asses.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 03, 2020, 08:32:46 AM
Quote from: Big J on June 03, 2020, 07:44:47 AMPeople are scared. 

Correction:  Some people are scared.

And I doubt if "people in big cities" are responsible for the increase in gun sales.  It is likely those folks in the burbs and rural areas.

The best protection for "you and your families" is that mass between your ears.  If that gray matter tells you to purchase a firearm for protection, then do it.  Approximately 2/3 of the remaining U.S. population might take another approach.

I'm not sure where gun policies rank on the spectrum of America's concerns/priorities.  My bet is healthcare is number 1, and even that baffles me ---- is it the exorbitant cost that some have to pay, is it the lack of care for ourselves, is it a compassion issue for our fellow humans without care, etc.

My number 1 concern is 'the gullibility and blind credulity of the American public'.  This encompasses all issues – guns, healthcare, environment, immigration, politics, worldly affairs, religion, social matters, etc. and the disinformation spewed on social media, traditional media, politicians, the cloud/internet, and all individuals with their heads permanently embedded in their asses.

I agree with most of what you said.  I do think from the reports I've been getting that big city gun shops are swamped.  Might be exaggerated because of the low number of gun shops in big cities, but still they have seen a big uptick. 

Using one's noggin these days will save you a lot of grief.  It's an ability that seems to be lacking.  I truly hope that some positives come out of all of this and areas that need reforming get reformed.