Real Cost of Goods From China..?

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 10, 2006, 20:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Pollution From Chinese Coal Casts a Long Shadow
QuoteOne of China's lesser-known exports is a dangerous brew of soot, toxic chemicals and climate-changing gases from the smokestacks of coal-burning power plants.

In early April, a dense cloud of pollutants over Northern China sailed to nearby Seoul, sweeping along dust and desert sand before wafting across the Pacific. An American satellite spotted the cloud as it crossed the West Coast.

Researchers in California, Oregon and Washington noticed specks of sulfur compounds, carbon and other byproducts of coal combustion coating the silvery surfaces of their mountaintop detectors. These microscopic particles can work their way deep into the lungs, contributing to respiratory damage, heart disease and cancer.

Filters near Lake Tahoe in the mountains of eastern California "are the darkest that we've seen" outside smoggy urban areas, said Steven S. Cliff, an atmospheric scientist at the University of California at Davis.

Unless China finds a way to clean up its coal plants and the thousands of factories that burn coal, pollution will soar both at home and abroad. The increase in global-warming gases from China's coal use will probably exceed that for all industrialized countries combined over the next 25 years, surpassing by five times the reduction in such emissions that the Kyoto Protocol seeks.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/11/business/worldbusiness/11chinacoal.html?hp&ex=1149998400&en=a6ac0f57a3e3ea1e&ei=5094&partner=homepage

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Peddler

Where's the love, Woolley?  ;D

Doncha know Communist Red China is our best friend and only has our best interest at heart?

Want proof? The dirty little secret 'they' don't talk about much in the local media"

http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/89/357/9724_defense.html

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

troutphisher

I still aint givin up my china boo  >:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flyman

QuotePosted on: Today at 12:02:46 amPosted by: troutphisher 
Insert Quote
I still aint givin up my china boo   
Commie  ^-^

Peddler- I didn't make the connection  in the link you gave to China poluting the evniorment with high sulphur content coal? I mean yea I saw where the Russians had sold a a couple diesel subs and torpedo boats to China, but?
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

troutphisher

Don't worry, GE just shipped 20 turbines to generate power, the units reduce emissions by 40% from coal fired power plants.

So now they can mass produce boo rods,with powered splitting bits, turning lathes and super charged high RPM rotary block planes.

My advice, sell your boo rods and buy GE stock.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.