News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Ashe County Fishing

Started by flysean, June 16, 2016, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flysean

I bought some property in West Jefferson over the winter and I am now getting the chance to visit it now and do some trout fishing. I am not very familiar with this part of NC. When I was there in October I fished the big horse creek and had some luck but I don't know what the water are like and I need to start my journey of figuring it out on that part of the mountains. Its pretty warm now and not the best time for trout  but the y are out there . I was looking for larger water that could be a little cooler that small creeks. or some higher elevation streams . if anyone could give me some starting points for this I would greatly appreciate it. I have all week to explore so I can't wait. thanks in advance

RiverbumCO

Well fuck me in the goat ass.

#neverforget
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Woolly Bugger

I suggest a keg of beer and brisket at your place. You will be bound to get some useful information then
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

Yallerhammer

Some honest, helpful advice:

Here is how I find high-elevation small creeks that have good fishing:

It's a foolproof system:

It really works regardless of county:

1: Find a creek. I usually look under those big concrete things that you drive across when you're going down the road. If it looks all watery under there, you're good to go.

2: Find a stick. Throw it in the creek. Notice which direction it floats in. Go the opposite direction of that.

3: When you have gotten a long ways in the opposite direction of the floating stick, check to see if the creek is now smaller and stick your hand in the water to see if it is cooler.

4:Cast a fly into the water. If nothing hits it, it is probably not a good place to fish.

If a fish hits it and it looks like this:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

or this:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

,then you need to go further upstream.

If trout hit your flies frequently, keep fishing there.

5:Repeat as necessary.

Just the opinions of one of those inbred, mentally deficient, inferior Smoky Mountain rednecks that you seem to love so much, but hey, it works for me in my simple world.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

flysean

damn you guys are really fucking funny. just to damn funny. I heard of ignorant fucking rednecks but damn you got the trophy for it now. there is no trash like redneck trash. and you guys prove it.

Dougfish

We hate takers. You need to contribute before you receive. Shove off, asshole.  :banana072:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Quote from: flysean on June 19, 2016, 08:04:54 AM
damn you guys are really fucking funny. just to damn funny. I heard of ignorant fucking rednecks but damn you got the trophy for it now. there is no trash like redneck trash. and you guys prove it.

We can't all exist in your lofty plane of superior transcendental genius and blue-blooded aristocratic elitism. The world needs ignorant redneck trash, too. Somebody gotta dig the ditches and clean the outhouses. We just doin' the best we can, Boss.

Slick, you really think somebody is gonna give up all their favorite creeks on a public internet forum? And we're ignorant? In other words, find your creeks like we find ours. Go fishing. It's half the fun of it.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

Flysean, perhaps you should have found a couple good creeks before purchasing land, although I believe you're full of shit regarding your land purchase claim. 

The native residents of the hill country do not want or need you, or your insufferable flatfooted ilk, creating demand for river/creek shacks or any other variety of riparian development.  That be your welcome mat.

jwgnc

County map and a six pack works pretty well for me.  I don't always find fish, but I always have fun. http://ncpaws.org/wrcmapbook/FishingAreas.aspx

When I get desperate, there's always http://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/HatcheriesStocking/NCWRCStocking.aspx
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Jfey

Quote from: flysean on June 19, 2016, 08:04:54 AM

I think you tried this before and it didn't work.    Who's the ignorant one that can't find a fucking trout stream in your own backyard? 

As a wise man once said "git"
Yup, going fishing

Michael Toris

Woolly Bugger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 16, 2016, 22:44:09 PM
Fuck your property. Get off your lazy ass and find the fish.

let's talk about fly fishing the smokey's

http://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebrfff%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D12068&share_tid=12068&share_fid=69390&share_type=t

Oh yeah. Forgot about those rants.
What a complete asshole to come back on here again.
Hope he becomes crayfish food. Oh, that would require him exploring. Snap.  n!n
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006