My One & Possibly Only TR for the year......

Started by stevewes2004, July 22, 2013, 09:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewes2004

Needless to say I don't take enough time for fly fishing anymore.  And my passion for killing big bucks with archery tackle easily takes up 6 months of the year.....not to mention a family and a busy job...

So, my WIFE asked me to take her fishing so I couldn't say NO!

"Skinny Light Blueliner" northwest of Charlotte, I knew would probably fish good with all the record breaking water being thrown down.

She's inexperienced with a fly rod, so I let her cheat with the spinning rig....setup with a small cork, a rubber legged stone, and a BH pheasant tail.  Still counts as fly fishing right?

I fished my 9' #6 St Croix Legend Ultra.  Made it easy to cast, my Hopper, rubber legged stone, and soft hackle combo.  Not to mention the potential to catch a two footer....

She managed 8 fish, one 14" and one 15".  She hooked several other good ones, and we both broke one off that had to have been 18-20+.

I grabbed 25, and missed/lost at least that many.  Managed to bring one 18" rainbow to the net.

Here are a few pics:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

!!

sheepfly

sanjuanwormhatch

Purty fish.  I fished a blueline one time with a 6wt.  Was originally planning on going to the big river but it was too muddy and forgot my 3wt.  Nothing like catching 5 inch fish on a broomstick. 

stevewes2004

@sheepfly...Not sure what causes one to be piebald like that....

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on July 25, 2013, 04:29:11 AM
Purty fish.  I fished a blueline one time with a 6wt.  Was originally planning on going to the big river but it was too muddy and forgot my 3wt.  Nothing like catching 5 inch fish on a broomstick.

Thanks ... you are correct, however, this isn't your average blueline  :D

tomato can

Nice pictures & post some pictures of that monster buck you get!

Clemsontygerfan

We always called them calico deer.  I found this info from http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/deer/faq.asp#piebald-deer.

It was probably a piebald deer or what deer hunters commonly called calico or pinto deer (see photo). The piebald condition is an inherited genetic trait. The piebald anomaly ranges from a very slight amount of white hair to almost totally white coats. Unlike true albinos, piebald deer have brown eyes and black hooves. The piebald condition is frequently associated with other harmful physical conditions, including skeletal deformities (e.g., dorsal bowing of the nose, short/deformed legs, curved spine, short lower mandible, etc.) and internal organ deformities. Piebald deer are rare, typically occurring at less than one percent of the population. Piebald deer can be more common on a local basis, especially in areas where deer hunters protect them. Piebald deer are not afforded any special protection by Department regulation, and the Department does not recommend these animals be protected.

The other kind of white deer are true albinos. Unlike piebald deer, these deer are normal except for lacking the gene(s) for color. True albinos have pink eyes and white hooves. These deer are rare with just a couple killed annually by deer hunters in Virginia. Like piebald deer, albino deer are not afforded any special protection by Department regulation, and the Department does not recommend these animals be protected.

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: stevewes2004 on July 25, 2013, 05:54:50 AM

Thanks ... you are correct, however, this isn't your average blueline  :D

Indeed.

stevewes2004

Thanks for the info Clemson!

@tomato can: here are the two bucks I killed last year....
OHIO

Orange Co, NC

One of the mounts:

Woolly Bugger

well if you're only going once a year, it looks like you picked the perfect stream....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tomato can

RiverbumCO

Dude had a feature written about him in the NC Sportsman Mag last year.  Both were killed within a short span, correct?
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

stevewes2004

Quote from: RiverbumCO on July 25, 2013, 16:03:58 PM
Dude had a feature written about him in the NC Sportsman Mag last year.  Both were killed within a short span, correct?

Yes sir, within 3 days!

RiverbumCO

I bet you sported a deer boner after that.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

F.You

stevewes2004

Quote from: RiverbumCO on July 26, 2013, 11:18:17 AM
I bet you sported a deer boner after that.

This is an understatement...

Quote from: steelrain202 on July 26, 2013, 16:36:10 PM
you take me bowhunting ill take to some epic streams and let you use my custom 2wt

Negative  :D