Reconnected with an old fishing partner

Started by Al, July 27, 2020, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Many of you will recognizes Damsel Fly, aka Lauri just behind me in this selfie. She is a good friend and great fishing companion. With our local trout water perpetually blown out due to ongoing issues at Philpott Dam we don't get to fish together as much as we would like.
You cannot view this attachment.

I have access to a "way back in the woods" pond filled with big bream and small bass. The pond got reduced in size about two years ago when all that excessive rain caused it to  cut a new spillway that dropped the water 6-8 feet. The drop in water makes launching a Jon-boat difficult but it can be done with 2 people. I asked DF if she wanted to try it and she replied "Hell yes - Ive been cooped up in the house too long - lets go fishing"

I tried for bass with a worm rig but no takers. DF in the back of the boat was using a fly rod with an Allieworm. It didn't take long for her to start putting bream in the cooler.

It was a hot afternoon / evening so we treated ourselves to one "real beer" and several non-alcoholic beers. Yes, that is right NA - we had a 15-20 mile drive and didn't want to tempt fate.

The water was very stained from a recent downpour but the bream came at a fairly regular basis. I switched to a fly rod and helped add to the cooler which DF's husband assured us he would clean if we brought some home.

We had stopped at Subway for a sandwich and chips. "Take out" dinner while sitting in the middle of a pond at least 3 miles from the nearest road with a good friend is what it is all about. After the sub, some good conversation and another NA beer it was back to fishing.

We caught a few small bass - there are bigger ones here but not today

We wasn't the only fisherman who knows about this secluded pond

We fished until dark. Getting the boat out of this pond is a chore. The pond's owner recently installed a winch which helps but it is still a two man operation.

Great way to spend the afternoon / evening. We made some memories.  :cheers

itieuglyflies

Great report. Nothing like an ole (not old) friend, a fly rod, and a pond with nice brim.

Phil

Way to go Al, and great to see Damselfly in action again!  'c;

Woolly Bugger

yup, nice TR and good to see Damselfly gettin it done! but lord, Old Milwaukee  :o  Try Heineken 0.0 next time!!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Stone-Man

Damn nice report.  You are a lucky ass to be able to access a pond with that quality of bream.
I love fishing with Damsel. Lots of laughs !!  She and I have caught several hundred Bluegills and shellcrackers together. Great report  !!  Thanks for the share  !!!!

JT

Phil

" Old Milwaukee  :o  Try Heineken 0.0 next time!!!"

I've tried a bunch of non-alcoholic beers since I can't drink alcohol anymore. The only one that tastes O.K. and somewhat like beer to me is (believe it or not) Busch NA.

jwgnc

Heineken 0.0 or Clausthaler where you can take bottles.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Al

Quote from: Phil on July 27, 2020, 15:15:31 PM" Old Milwaukee  :o  Try Heineken 0.0 next time!!!"

I've tried a bunch of non-alcoholic beers since I can't drink alcohol anymore. The only one that tastes O.K. and somewhat like beer to me is (believe it or not) Busch NA.

NA is not available in a lot of places I shop - however I needed to replenish my stash and was able to pick up a 12 pax of Busch NA in cans yesterday at Walmart. I'm not a big beer drinker so it all tastes the same to me :o

troutfanatic

Al,

If Covid got ya down on your luck, I can get one of my pals still on active duty to hit the class 6 and buy you some real beer.

troutrus

Quote from: jwgnc on July 27, 2020, 15:37:36 PMHeineken 0.0 or Clausthaler where you can take bottles.

Both are available in cans.