Social Distancing @ Bass Pond

Started by Al, May 04, 2020, 07:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

IAW Governer Coopers social distancing order I did a solo trip to a bass pond where I have permission to fish. Still sucks trying to control the canoe all by myself, cast, fight fish and take pictures at the same time.
You cannot view this attachment.

Caught two right at the dock before jumping in the canoe. Ya, I know this is not fly fishing but truth be told I fish with whatever puts the most bends in my rod.

Caught a real nice one before too long.

Close to a dozen before it was done. Could have caught more if I'd stayed at it but needed to get back to work on my book - Yep, the book is in it's final stages before going to publisher.

Just before reaching the dock a big bream nailed the bass size Pop-R I was using. 

I need to leave the worm and plug rods home and start bringing my fly rod for some bream fishing.

Onslow

Al, many moons ago while residing in the eastern Piedmont, I long rodded ponds for bass, and sunfish for 25 years before drifting a nymph in a trout stream. You will be surprised how eager a largemouth will be to take a popper, rubber spider, or anything that floats during early Summer evenings.

I have a pontoon float tube and some fins from the era.  If you are interested, I would be glad give these items away to someone who would actually use them, and enjoy them.  I never was attacked by a beaver, or geese.  Some northern watersnakes got a bit aggro, and obviously one needs to mind paper wasp nests. There are very few things more relaxing than working the banks of a pond or small lake in a tube.

Al

Quote from: Onslow on May 04, 2020, 19:15:42 PMAl, many moons ago while residing in the eastern Piedmont, I long rodded ponds for bass, and sunfish for 25 years before drifting a nymph in a trout stream. You will be surprised how eager a largemouth will be to take a popper, rubber spider, or anything that floats during early Summer evenings.

I have a pontoon float tube and some fins from the era.  If you are interested, I would be glad give these items away to someone who would actually use them, and enjoy them.  I never was attacked by a beaver, or geese.  Some northern watersnakes got a bit aggro, and obviously one needs to mind paper wasp nests. There are very few things more relaxing than working the banks of a pond or small lake in a tube.

Thanks for the offer Onslow but I am going to pass. I will turn 81 in another month and would likely drown in a float tube. I have access to a canoe at this pond near Fayetteville and a Jon boat at a similar pond near my cabin in Virginia. I have put the fly rod to good use at the pond in Virginia and will start doing the same down here in NC.

My biggest challenge  is finding someone dependable to go with me. They all want to go until you actually try to set a day and time.