Ah, New Mexico ain't bad

Started by fishhunterphil, April 29, 2010, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhunterphil

On the epic journey out to the left coast we made it a priority to stop for a few days in the land of enchanting spirits and whatnot. 
Along the way we had to stop at some watering holes, see some old friends, eat some special omellettes, and play some hungover hoops, but our priorities (well, mine anyway) were on reaching New mexico and getting on some fish filled waters.
I had been reading about a place in the southwestern part of the state for a while and really had my sights and heart set on it.  Upon entering NM, we decided to head there knowing full well that it would not be ideal in early March considering the winter was as rough as it was, figuring we would check it out anyway.  The Gila wilderness is definitely somewhere to come back to when it is warmer, that's all I can say about the fishing and the weather.  Some of the most highly variable stuff I've been in.  Sun and 68 one minute, giant fat flakes of snow the next, pretty awesome and humbling.  The rivers were all swollen torrents, fished one feeder creek for a couple hours, but it was tough going.  The mogollon people who lived up there were some hardy folk who definitely lived a cold, brutish, and short life.
After doing a little exploring through that wilderness and camping one night we headed north to the Juan and spent a solid day up there.
It was snowing all over the Mountain time zone the day we drove up, it definitely got pretty interesting. 
The temps were frigid, both the air and that water coming from the bottom of Navajo Lake.  I had an extra pair of neoprene socks on over my insulated hiking socks and wader booties and still had to take a long break at lunch to warm up the toes.  The day started out at about 20 with low slung clouds spitting bits of white stuff, remnants of the previous days storm, and the wind blowing. But, slowly it got up to the upper 40s by midday as the sun started to came through.

There were midges hatching sporadically all day, along with some bwos. 

Dry fly fishing during these moments with a size 18 griffiths gnat proved to be the most memorable, exciting, fun time I've ever had hunting feesh.
The g gnat proved to be a pretty good imitation of the mating midge clusters, I missed so many strikes and LDRed a couple. 

Actually didn't get any fish on the midge pupae/larvae that I tied up, all my fish were on dries at first.  As the day wore on I switched to streamers and got a few nice brownies from some of the water around lunker alley.

After the fun was done, we drove straight through to california the next day.  3100 miles drive, one broken rod, many freezing moments, and it was all worth it.  Now that I am out here in the land of fruits and nuts, I keep asking myself we didn't just stop in that ol' land of enchantment...?

Here are some pictures:

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

fishhunterphil

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

fishhunterphil

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attach=3]

[attach=4]

[attach=5]

[attach=6]

Get Bent

Nice... those pics remind me of Argentina South of Esquel.

0--0
Konichiwa Bitches!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

fishhunterphil

Quote from: Get Bent on April 29, 2010, 09:58:48 AM
Nice... those pics remind me of Argentina South of Esquel.

0--0

thanks...just used the old google image search and can safely say i wouldn't mind heading to argentina south of esquel  ;hb

flynhokies

looks like a great adventure...good luck out californi way   0--0
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

diaz dassie

Nice one Phil,
Dunno whats better, the vise on the dash board or
Neil Young belting out "rocking in the free world"! Your beloved brownies are doing just fine up that special creek in Wilkes, Im keeping 'em safe for you! Tight lines brother! ;hb