News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shooting fish in a ......

Started by Dougfish, July 09, 2014, 06:45:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

barrel  river!?  :o

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/outdoors/thanks-to-one-man-you-can-still-fish-with-firearms/article_fe197c60-0099-5286-b2a7-a65dbe00d1ac.html

"Shooting fish?

Most people never have heard of the practice, and the mention of it can bring a "you've got to be kidding" reaction. But on the Clinch River in Scott County it has been passed down through the generations as a means of putting food on the table and having fun testing your skills while doing it.

The Scott County section of the Clinch, where the river flows through deep, V-shaped valleys, is the only place in Virginia that you legally can fire a rifle over open water. It is believed to be one of only two places in the country where this tradition remains, the other Lake Champlain in Vermont."

benben reincarnated

Just because something has always been done one way doesn't mean it is right...

Jfey

More than a little pandering with his final statement

"Even if the pastime has lived its life, as the DGIF staff seems to believe, its demise would leave the sobering question: What's next to go?"

Yup, going fishing

The Dude

I once talked to a guy who lived on Claytor Lake (right off Burma Road, if I recall) who worked at mine near Macks Creek.  He used to sneak dynamite home and go out in his boat in Claytor and drop a couple of charges and wait for the catfish to float to the surface, scoop 'em up, and take 'em home for the freezer.  Classic statement, "The first time I tried it I used to much and blew the rivets out of my boat, but I got it figured out after that and now it is safe as can be, and now I am the best fishermen on this lake."  He actually considered it as any other type of and thought of himself with genuine pride as an accomplished and skillful angler.  Ha ha ha!
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: The Dude on July 09, 2014, 09:01:34 AM
I once talked to a guy who lived on Claytor Lake (right off Burma Road, if I recall) who worked at mine near Macks Creek.  He used to sneak dynamite home and go out in his boat in Claytor and drop a couple of charges and wait for the catfish to float to the surface, scoop 'em up, and take 'em home for the freezer.  Classic statement, "The first time I tried it I used to much and blew the rivets out of my boat, but I got it figured out after that and now it is safe as can be, and now I am the best fishermen on this lake."  He actually considered it as any other type of and thought of himself with genuine pride as an accomplished and skillful angler.  Ha ha ha!

Reminds me of this (although it is a hand grenade they are using):

creekfreak

Dayme!! it's like cherry bombs in the So. Fork of the Shenandoah!!
Guinness! Good God!

Al

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 09, 2014, 17:01:09 PM
11 years ago, I was still a combat engineer. On my first tour to Afghanistan, I packed a soda can full of about 1/4 block of C4. I then put gravel on top and covered it with 100 mph tape (duct tape). I inserted a blasting cap crimped to about 30 seconds of time fuse. Pulled the ignitor and dropped the charge in the Konar River. BOOOOM. all these sucker-looking bottom feeders came up and the kids ran in and grabbed them all. dinner.

We did that a lot in Vietnam. Just throw a concussion grenade in the water and up they come. If we were greedy or had a lot of folks to feed we would tape the grenade to a block of C4. Just be sure you backed off a bit because it would cause a minor tidal wave.