News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

I'm still thinking about how Mr. Rohrig repeatedly and knowingly broke rules/policies and then wrote a book about it all.

Reminds me of when I post trip reports with photos of the "No Trespassing" signs along the way.

Dee-Vo

Finished up with King's "'Salem's Lot" this afternoon. Good book. Kept me hooked pretty good.

Two more books are awaiting me at the bookstore. Looking forward to new material.

Reading has began to vary in subject. Fictional, non-fictional, adventure, etc. A good mix here and there is pleasant.

Dee-Vo

Next three pieces of reading are as follows:

-- Stephen King's "The Shining" (beginning to see a trend here?)

-- Blair Braverman's "Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube: Chasing Fear and Finding Home in the Great White North" (what a title choice!)

-- John Boessenecker's "Texas Ranger: The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, the Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde" (looking forward to this one)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dee-Vo

The Shining is a damned good book. A great book to let yourself fall wholly into with full imagination. Much better than the movie, per usual.

Dee-Vo

Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube brought some insight into the way of living in extreme northern regions. Somewhat interesting yet overall, meh.

A portion describing the night when the writer dug several feet deep down into the frozen tundra was the best. She'd dug several feet straight down, then several feet horizontally; this way she could get into her sleeping bag and be insulated while lying on her back (the hole was "L-shaped"), trapping her body heat underneath the accumulated feet of snow thus keeping warm through the night's frigid hours. Apparently, the hole was just a little larger than her own body.

She awoke the following morning with the grand surprise that a blizzard had filled the hole back in overnight and was frozen hard. She couldn't move and was confined to a space about like a casket. This description gave me the claustrophobic feels.

BRFFF

Paradise only a buck fifty

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

https://amzn.to/2V4qEK1

50 years on Rocket Men tells the story of Apollo 8, the first mission to the moon!

I listened to the Audible version and found it fascinating, so much so that after listening to the entire book in 3 days I then watched Apollo 13, one of my favorite all time movies!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

BBC program on the mission with interviews with the astronauts and the author!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001qn1
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Beetle

I'm on the final homestretch of this series.    Malcolm turned me on to it.

https://amzn.to/2Vc5E3T

Aka

Quote from: Beetle on December 27, 2018, 10:35:48 AM
I'm on the final homestretch of this series.    Malcolm turned me on to it.

https://amzn.to/2Vc5E3T

How is Malcolm?

Dee-Vo

Copied from my FB.

Short stories? Anyone?

Just finished "Night Shift" by Mr. King.

Enjoyed most of them; a nice change of pace.

#jerusalemslot
#graveyardshift
#nightsurf
#iamthedoorway
#themangler
#theboogeyman
#graymatter
#battleground
#trucks
#sometimestheycomeback
#strawberryspring
#theledge
#thelawnmowerman
#quittersinc
#iknowwhatyouneed
#childrenofthecorn
#thelastrungontheladder
#themanwholovedflowers
#onefortheroad
#thewomanintheroom

Finished up with King's "The Dead Zone" late last night.

What a great book. Surprising to me that it's not more popular as many of his other works are.

Gillian Flynn's "Sharp Objects."

Enjoyed this.

A nice change up. Female authors offer a fresh spin with their own honest perspectives regarding people, situations, etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Currently I'm reading the "One Second After" series. Very good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougfish

I've got three books started. For over four months.  b';
Work, work, work. Family life, fly tying, garden work, rod building get in the way.
An upcoming balcony on the Gulf coast might be the ticket.
Unless the fish are biting... V:;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dee-Vo

You cannot view this attachment.One Second After by William Forstchen.

This was a great book. An eye-opener into what seems to be a very real and possible threat to our country. I’ve purchased the other two novels in this trilogy. Look forward to getting into those as well.

Dee-Vo

This second novel in the trilogy is as good or better than the first. I'm looking forward to the third and final installment.You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

I never thought about World War One prison escape stories. I was, from an early age, captivated by Steve McQueen in The Great Escape! I found this audiobook, The The Escape Artists: A Band of Daredevil Pilots and the Greatest Prison Break of the Great War by Neal Bascomb, in my local library's digital collection. It is a fascinating look back in time and I'm enjoying the stories of hardship, perseverance, failed attempts, and small successes.

You cannot view this attachment.

Check out the RB Digital app for access to your library's audiobook collections.

If you have a Prime Account you can watch the WWII epic for free https://amzn.to/2G0g2VN
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

The First Great Escape movie, a 44 minute BBC documentary about the main escape in the book in the above post, The Escape Artists, is available on Amazon and Free with Prime.

https://amzn.to/2InF7xj
me -There's a season?