News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Unlimited bear news

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 09, 2015, 15:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwgnc

OK, now you've gotten a wee bit too close.

You cannot view this attachment.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Onslow

Quote from: jwgnc on June 11, 2020, 20:15:51 PMOK, now you've gotten a wee bit too close.

Poor fella looks hungry.

Al

I keep a Deer Camera on the edge of the back lawn at my cabin in Basset. Checked it this past weekend and see I have a young bear making the rounds. I hope he keeps moving.

I have lots of deer photos as well. One thing I notice at this time of the year is deer with lots of ticks taking up residence in the deer's ears. I watch the deer from my kitchen window and this past weekend notice a lot of "grooming" by one deer on another deer around the ear area. It seems they are trying to either pull the ticks off or maybe just relieve the itch. 

Onslow

I bet this guy could throw down on some sweet corn!  The trash can pandas are bad enough!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I've seen several bears recently – some very close to The Grove.

Several evenings each week I take a drive on the local backroads, with the beagle, bird book, and glass – looking for critters, particularly new birdies.  Last week I saw the damnedest thing  --- a deer about 100 meters out in a un-mowed hay field – with only the eye the deer appeared to have short black, velveted horns, but with the glass it was a red winged blackbird perched between her ears pecking the top of her head.  Another rw blackbird flew up from the ground to her back, ahead of her tail and started gleaning her spine area.   Ticks?  Other inverts?  Never seen it before. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Al

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 15, 2020, 08:31:42 AMI've seen several bears recently – some very close to The Grove.

Several evenings each week I take a drive on the local backroads, with the beagle, bird book, and glass – looking for critters, particularly new birdies.  Last week I saw the damnedest thing  --- a deer about 100 meters out in a un-mowed hay field – with only the eye the deer appeared to have short black, velveted horns, but with the glass it was a red winged blackbird perched between her ears pecking the top of her head.  Another rw blackbird flew up from the ground to her back, ahead of her tail and started gleaning her spine area.   Ticks?  Other inverts?  Never seen it before. 

In Africa birds dine on insects and worms that infect critters. Maybe birds are adapting here now that there are so many ticks and other vermin. I remember last year seeing deer with their ears almost twice there normal size due to infestations of ticks.

jwgnc

Just saw momma bear again, without the cubs. From what I've read, I'm guessing the two cubs with her on June 2 were yearlings (30-50 pounds?)  If so, they would split up around this time of year.

That's our third bear visit this month that we know of, plus we saw a young one about two miles from here and another adult about five miles away.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

People in Asheville losing they shit over this. If it was a Biden sticker, it'd be OK, I guess....

https://wlos.com/news/local/reward-offered-for-information-on-who-put-trump-2020-sticker-on-bear
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Stone-Man

I went to sleep sitting in a chair Thursday night. Had a cat sleeping on my knee. At 0530 the next morning the cat locked down on my leg and started growling big time. I looked up and there was a damn bear looking through the deck window. I turned on the deck light and he took off. Weight estimate would be a solid 200 lbs. He came back last night and tore up a coupe bird feeders   :o  :o

JT

Woolly Bugger

Could Biden be next?

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

I was up to my Virginia cabin last weekend. Got up one morning and saw a bear on the back lawn. It stuck around long enough for cellphone picture.

Pulled SD card on my game camera and saw he had been there the day before as well - at least it looks like the same one

OK, here is a question for you "bear experts" - about a week ago my game camera recorded a bear visiting during the dark - is this the same bear or a bigger one? I'm leaning towards two bears because the one after dark looks a lot bigger. What do you think?

Got an action shot of two deer having a squabble as well

Big J

No expert, but definitely looks heavier.  Just looking at where the belly of the second one hits his legs compared to that first one. 

Stone-Man

2 bears------------number 2 is heavier than the first one

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Stone-Man on August 12, 2020, 13:17:36 PM2 bears------------number 2 is heavier than the first one

I agree.  Check height of both compared to the leaves on the vegetation (left and aft).
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon