Unlimited Local Bands, small music venues

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 16, 2019, 09:24:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

UNCG Jazz Ensemble II played Duke Ellington at the Tew Recital Hall

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Great blues show at SECCA last night

"Jontavious Willis and Jerron Blind Boy Paxton are the modern torchbearers of American blues music, carrying into the 21st Century the legacies of legends like Son House, Leadbelly, Bukka White and Muddy Waters," said Andy Tennille, a member of the SECCA Foundation board and curator of the Crossroads concert series. "Each artist will play a solo set before joining each other onstage for a few songs. It's going to be a powerful night of music you won't want to miss."

do yourself a favor and listen to this show...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Last year by chance I discovered the Old-Time Ensemble recital at UNCG School of Music.
So when it popped up on the calendar this year were eager to attend and listen to "A Seeger Family Celebration"

The ensemble, directed by Christen Blanton, was divided into four groups, The Mike Believers, The Kicking Mules, Reliably Boots Band, and Pom-Poms of Protest.

The entire ensemble opened with

Black-Eyed Susie, then we heard all of the groups in rotation with a finale of I'll Fly Away once again performed by the entire ensemble

Soldier's Joy -- The Mike Believers
Kicking Mule -- The Kicking Mules
Sail Away Ladies -- The Reliably Boots Band 
Bonaparte's Retreat -- Pom-Poms of Protest
My Home's Across The Smokey Mountains -- The Mike Believers
The New Market Train Wreck -- The Kicking Mules
Battle in the Horseshoe -- The Reliably Boots Band
Pittsburgh Town -- Pom-Poms of Protest
Shouting in Jerusalem -- The Mike Believers
Boys, My Money's All Gone -- The Kicking Mules
The Baldheaded End of the Broom -- The Reliably Boots Band
Riding on the Train -- Pom-Poms of Protest
Red River Valley -- The Mike Believers
Mountaineer's Courtship -- The Kicking Mules
Wagoner's Lad -- The Reliably Boots Band
Time to be Moving On --Pom-Poms of Protest
Don't Let the Deal Go Down -- The Mike Believers
All of Her Answers Were No -- The Kicking Mules
Waist Deep in the Big Muddy -- The Reliably Boots Band
We Shall Overcome -- Pom-Poms of Protest
John Henry -- The Mike Belivers
Toodala -- The Kicking Mules
Get Thee Behind Me, Satan -- The Reliably Boots Band
If I had a Hammer -- Pom-Poms of Protest

The Mike Believers
Mike Ananian, banjo
Robert Bohinski, ?ddle
Cole Breit, guitar
Maria Guild, cello
Brandon Hearn, mandolin
Sarai Santibanez Bahena, guitar

The Reliably Boots Band
Ryan Bergfors, bass, ukelele
Elizabeth Church, banjo
Emily Hernandez, fiddle
Lemar Martin, guitar
Henry Paul, fiddle
Jonah VanDoren, guitar

The Kicking Mules
Stephanie Coolbaugh, guitar
MacKenzie Craig, mandolin
Gabriel Figuracion, banjo
Nygel Harris, fiddle
Michael Kralik, bass
Samuel Tosto, guitar

Pom-Poms of Protest
Yophi Bost, guitar
Sarah Dorsey, mandolin
Corbin Duncan, bass
Sean Jessica, fiddle, accordion
jessica Schneider, fiddle
Shuming Xu, banjo

Founded in the spring of 2008, the Old-Time Ensemble focuses on the learning of American vernacular music traditions, including instrumental dance music, folk songs, jug band music, work songs, blues, gospel, shape—note singing, ballads, and student compositions which re?ect these styles. The Old-Time Ensemble has a long tradition of including both music and non-music majors, and is open to all UNCG students regardless of major and without an audition. The emphasis is on learning and teaching traditional music through traditional means: including "lined—out" singing, learning by ear, learning through jamming, and learning from the wider old-time and traditional music community in North Carolina. The Old-Time Ensemble has worked with local and national tradition bearers, including Alan jabbour and Ken Perlmann, Peter Rowan, The Carolina Chocolate Drops, Rhiannon Giddens, Riley Baugus, and Richard Hartness and Tolley Tollefson. The group has been invited to perform at the Charlie Poole Music Festival, The Roanoke Island Festival Park Performance Series in Manteo, North Carolina, The Greensboro Festival of Lights Concert, and other local and regional events. Members of the Old-Time Ensemble have won top prizes and been featured performers at: the Charlie Poole Music Festival, the International Bluegrass Music Association Conference, Fiddler's Grove Old-Time Fiddlers and Bluegrass Festival, The Suwannee Spring Reunion, the Hoppin' john Old-Time and Bluegrass Fiddler's Convention, the Happy Valley Fiddlers Convention, the Union Grove Fiddlers Convention, Pickin' at the MARC Music Festival, Greensboro's Triad Stage, Greensboro's Music for a Summer Evening in the Park Series, the Folk Alliance International Conference, The Mount Airy Fiddlers Convention, and other local, regional, and national events and festivals.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

My friend Chris Bittner, UNCG / Juilliard — jazz sax player has released a free album on Bandcamp

https://chrisbittner.bandcamp.com/album/live-in-ny

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Emmylou Harris played to a sold out crowd at the 1,642 UNCG auditorium last night.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

One the One listening space in greensoboro for a live recording session of The Tate Street Four on Friday evening

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Last night, Saturday, we headed off to Elkin's historic Reeves Theater for the Martha Bassett Show which is entering its third season. The show is modeled after Prarie Home Companion and features local singer-songwriters along with some regional guest artists.

I just learned that the shows are live-streamed and archived on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/marthabassettshow/

And are also available as podcasts on the usual platforms as well as her web site. https://www.marthabassett.com/

The guest for the evening was Bill and the Belles who are associated with Bristol radio Farm Fun show with has been picked up by PBS and will be airing this season on your local station

https://www.birthplaceofcountrymusic.org/radio/programming/farm-fun-time/

and Abigal Dowd

We had a great time and hope to see many more shows this season. Check it out...

me -There's a season?

Onslow

I still haven't made time to check out Reeves Theater.  Sadly, I only live footsteps away and live on the same street :embarassed:

Woolly Bugger

Super Bowl per game concert Jess Klein and her husband played at Nash Street bar in Hillsboro

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on February 02, 2020, 19:01:03 PMI still haven't made time to check out Reeves Theater.  Sadly, I only live footsteps away, and live on the same street :embarassed:

Damn Ken, get yer ass down there at least for open mic. Nights (free) on Tuesdays
me -There's a season?

Onslow

Keith, brewfest is next Saturday between 11 and 4.  Live music, beer, cider, chili cook-off, etc..  This will be at the Liberty (Coley Hall) in Elkin. 

Woolly Bugger

Wine Wednesday at the Double Oaks Bed and Breakfast in Greensboro was jamming with the owner / chief joining in

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Reeves theater in Elkin with Jane Kramer, Casey Noel, and Abigail Dowd. Great show!Almost all original times with a few covers thrown in.

Going back tonight for the Martha Basset Show! 
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

well it was another awesome evening at the Revees Theater in downtown Elkin at the Martha Bassett Show!

Joe Thrift & Russell McCumber, a fiddle-playing duo followed Martha's opening number

next up was Rod Abernethy on 12 and 6 string guitars. He was fantastic and is the 2019 Grand Prize Winner of American Songwriter's Bob Dylan Song Contest.

then we were treated to the sweet voice of Jill Andrews.

all y'all should get out and see the Martha Basset Show on the First Saturday of each month or any of the other shows there, for more info visit http://www.reevestheater.com/

or catch a show live-streamed on facebook...
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

you can watch the entire show here...

me -There's a season?