News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bug ID?

Started by troutrus, May 01, 2020, 21:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

Up along the upper Smith River today checking out some of the streams in the area and came upon this bug. Anybody know what it's called?
Appreciate any help.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Dougfish

Green Assassin Bug?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Zelus luridus

You cannot view this attachment.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

Woolly Bugger

Listen to the Audio Sample...  :o  :P
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

'Murder Hornets' in the U.S.: The Rush to Stop the Asian Giant Hornet

In his decades of beekeeping, Ted McFall had never seen anything like it.

As he pulled his truck up to check on a group of hives near Custer, Wash., in November, he could spot from the window a mess of bee carcasses on the ground. As he looked closer, he saw a pile of dead members of the colony in front of a hive and more carnage inside — thousands and thousands of bees with their heads torn from their bodies and no sign of a culprit.
"I couldn't wrap my head around what could have done that," Mr. McFall said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/murder-hornets-in-the-us-the-rush-to-stop-the-asian-giant-hornet/ar-BB13va3Q?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/world/asia/crews-seek-to-destroy-hornets-that-have-killed-dozens-in-china.html

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

Onslow

I've seen some interesting insects in the last 15 years that I did not see as a youth. There is one variety of of brown striped hornet that is quite intimidating, and considerably larger than the bald face, or European hornets that comes to mind. These guys are 2 inches long, but are not the Asian variety making the news.  Google has not come through for me.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 03, 2020, 16:45:37 PM'Murder Hornets' in the U.S.: The Rush to Stop the Asian Giant Hornet

In his decades of beekeeping, Ted McFall had never seen anything like it.

As he pulled his truck up to check on a group of hives near Custer, Wash., in November, he could spot from the window a mess of bee carcasses on the ground. As he looked closer, he saw a pile of dead members of the colony in front of a hive and more carnage inside — thousands and thousands of bees with their heads torn from their bodies and no sign of a culprit.
"I couldn't wrap my head around what could have done that," Mr. McFall said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/murder-hornets-in-the-us-the-rush-to-stop-the-asian-giant-hornet/ar-BB13va3Q?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/world/asia/crews-seek-to-destroy-hornets-that-have-killed-dozens-in-china.html

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Foreigners killing foreigners, who is right?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on May 03, 2020, 17:34:51 PMI've seen some interesting insects in the last 15 years that I did not see as a youth. There is one variety of of brown striped hornet that is quite intimidating, and considerably larger than the bald face, or European hornets that comes to mind. These guys are 2 inches long, but are not the Asian variety making the news.  Google has not come through for me.

Cicada Killers?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on May 04, 2020, 05:36:32 AM
Quote from: Onslow on May 03, 2020, 17:34:51 PMI've seen some interesting insects in the last 15 years that I did not see as a youth. There is one variety of of brown striped hornet that is quite intimidating, and considerably larger than the bald face, or European hornets that comes to mind. These guys are 2 inches long, but are not the Asian variety making the news.  Google has not come through for me.

Cicada Killers?

Bigger.  Doesn't have the girth of a carpenter bee, but a good bit longer.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on May 05, 2020, 19:43:09 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on May 04, 2020, 05:36:32 AM

Cicada Killers?

Bigger.  Doesn't have the girth of a carpenter bee, but a good bit longer.

Did you search Ichneumonidae?  If it ain't one of the obvious, then ichneumonid is the only related critter I can think of that long, particularly the females. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Stone-Man

Hey Onslow.  I would second Doug's choice of Cicada Killer -  I have never heard of one stinging a human,but it would probably put you in the hospital

JT

Yallerhammer

Giant resin bee? They just showed up here a couple years ago. They take over carpenter bee holes. If not, it would about have to be a cicada killer or Giant European hornet. There are also some horntails and ichnumen wasps that get that big.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 02, 2020, 06:41:40 AMZelus luridus

You cannot view this attachment.

Anyone who has been stung by a large bumble bee knows this chart is BS.  Been stung once by one, and the sting was worse than any previous sting, including a hornet.  The hornet sting resulted in significant swelling, but the bumble bee was quite painful...like being being shot with a nail gun with red hot nails.