News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shackleford Banks Is Hot

Started by flyinhigh, December 17, 2007, 19:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinhigh

Spec. Trout up to 6# and Drum up to 40". In certain areas, fish are so close, even a novice flyfisherman such as myself can get to them. Funny thing is that the guys fishing from boats are basically casting flies and plugs up onto the beach. Fishing from the beach is best done casting parallel to the shoreline.

walt

Quote from: flyinhigh on December 17, 2007, 19:54:09 PM
Spec. Trout up to 6# and Drum up to 40". In certain areas, fish are so close, even a novice flyfisherman such as myself can get to them. Funny thing is that the guys fishing from boats are basically casting flies and plugs up onto the beach. Fishing from the beach is best done casting parallel to the shoreline.

fh, thanks for sharing..... special place, that area. any albies still hangin' out?

walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

flyinhigh

Haven't seen any Albies nearshore.

walt

Quote from: flyinhigh on December 19, 2007, 08:26:20 AM
Haven't seen any Albies nearshore.

yeah, i bet they've returned to the stream....

good luck with the specs and reds.... sounds like fun from the sand...

walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

launchone

I went out for Bluefin two weekends ago. SE 6.5 miles out of beaufort. There were acres of albies crashing silversides and small bay anchovies. They stayed up solid for about 3 hours and ate the fly. It was difficult casting and coordinating our spread but we managed a few on fly. They were in the 15-20 lb range. We also hooked several hosses on our trolled ballyhoo. Don't know what they are up to now. Might be worthwhile tuning in to the commercial channel (18?) or asking some of the commercial tuna capt. (if still there) about them. They hate the albacore and will be glad to tell you where to catch them.

flyinhigh

Launchone,
Any hookups on the Bluefin?

walt

a small bluefin, 20 to 40 pounds, would be a helluva blast on a 12 or 13 wt rod.....

when i spent most of my past november down on harkers, on the bad weather days i spoke with some of the old salts.... HI history, boatbuilding, duck hunting, shellfishing, and of course, fishing... apparently, bf's come in pretty close to shackleford in december and january.....

sushi anyone?  ;D

wally
— Cormac McCarthy