News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

albiedanged

Started by walt, September 06, 2007, 07:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

Quote from: phg on September 19, 2007, 08:00:37 AM
Hadn't been watching this thread for a few days.

.  We were talking, once, of having a saltwater PFF, but nothing came of it.

this could be the place to have a brfff sw clave....

http://www.capelookoutrealty.com/turner.html
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

phg

Definite possibilities. ;D

Peddler

Walt... if you book it, they will come!

Set it out!  0--0
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

walt

Quote from: Peddler on September 21, 2007, 06:54:19 AM
Walt... if you book it, they will come!

Set it out!  0--0

i'm gonna try and do something down there this year.....

heck, i have to for my insanity condition.
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

launchone

It has been very difficult fishing from the spit the past few seasons. The occurence of albies inside the hook has been extremely spotty. There were some comments about how easy it is to catch an albie from a boat, something to the effect that it is unfair. I would disagree and say that a boat certainly allows one to access more water and approach busting pods of fish, but that is the least of your worries. For the past several years the water surface temps have been so warm that the fish only come up for a small time period. They have also become much more selective with flies, necessitating a transition from the clousers to half and halfs, gummy minnows, and last years favorite which was an improvised version of Skok's mushmouth. I think the fishing has become very difficult. There are instances of good bites on a few random days, and indeed last year saw more activity....but I think that trying to catch an Albie from the beach is going to be very difficult unless we get some colder water temps and the bait comes in toward the break.

phg

With due respect to the elusive False Albacore, Fat Albert, or albi, if they fail to show up on schedule, Speckled Sea Trout aren't exactly trash fish.  Oct. is prime fishing all along that section of the coast.  There's always something running....

walt

Quote from: phg on September 21, 2007, 12:39:31 PM
With due respect to the elusive False Albacore, Fat Albert, or albi, if they fail to show up on schedule, Speckled Sea Trout aren't exactly trash fish.  Oct. is prime fishing all along that section of the coast.  There's always something running....

a buddy sez he's had a heckuva year with puppies in and around pamlico sound....
— Cormac McCarthy

walt

in one of my other recent posts, i mentioned my ff mentor da. if memory serves, back in '89, perhaps '90, he and the late lj decuir of knoxville (rip my friend), yellahammah lover and author of southeastern flies, decided to go spit fishin' for albies at lookout. they had met some nc guru albie dude along the way, earnhardt (i believe at the '89 fff clave in jax), who regaled them about the mystical enchantment of hookin' and catchin' the denizens from the beach with the long rod.

naturally, my imbecilic responsibilities at the time forced me to decline the offer to tag along, and, as i did whatever the hell that really didn't matter...... da headed up 26/301/10/95/70 in his nc sky blue rusted datsun to harkers... or some such route, to hook up with lj who most likely drove 40/70 in his minivan that sported a "i love bulldogs" tag up front and located the ferry that would transport their respective sorry asses, over to the promised sand...... i'm pretty damn sure, in gierichian mode, they drank some coffee, and than indulged and drank some more..... but i digress.

later in time, da returned to gatahland.... all friggin' smiles. 'nuff said.

the moral.... life is short, dun pass adventure with dear friends, you can never experience those lost times, ever. sure, you can do other adventures and have a grand time, but the '89/'90 adventure is lost to me and i do regret that.... (frig, i may be gettin' maudlin drinkin' all of wb's brews....)

anyways, soon, i will be telephonin' 'ole da to see if he has any interest in a return adventure to harkers/spit/boat/whatever chasin' albies this year.... i sure pray, unlike myself those long years ago, that he sez "hell yeah".... and joins us.

yes, i said us..... in a brfff sw clave that i have no desire to meister (been there, done that, thrice.) i now employ the littleton of penns creek philosophy (btw, he ties a badass march brown wet, slays dem big ole pa creek browns) approach to clave meisterin'... "have fun" ..... but i will surely help out any way i can..... including some sort of gatherin' place.... and if yer real nice, i perhaps can be swayed to rack coals for some chiknquen' one fine evenin'....

anyone else wanna adventure? i'm thinking nov 3-10 or thereabouts....

walt, afflicted with the dreaded, incurable, cap hindrance infliction.

ps... wb, say..... "hell yeah!"  0--0
— Cormac McCarthy

phg

...minor problem.  Left Behinds is scheduled for Nov. 9-10-11 in Cherokee.   Several people have expressed an interest in doing both....

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 22, 2007, 13:12:22 PM
Hell Yeah!  ;D

i'm going to try and head down there this weekend with marie and check out some lodging for november....

maybe even wet a line  ;D

wally
— Cormac McCarthy

marty

QuoteI would suggest Beaufort Inlet on outgoing tide fishing from the west end of Shackleford Banks.  ;)
we used to take the "ferry" over to shackleford (really just a boat ride) on end at beaufort inlet, not to catch albies but FLOUNDER , some of the best flounder fishing around. the couple of guys fly fishing for albies caught flounder on streamers  ;D there were albies around sometimes close enough to cast to but it was one of those days they were picky and there wasn't enough shots to figure out what they wanted. sometimes they come in and they hit almost any minnow looking bait and sometimes they want just what they want usually smaller than your throwing
Marty Shaffner
Tri-State Angler Guide Service
www.tristateangler.com

walt

see ya boys on the rebound..... harkers or bust..... hmmmm harkers and busts, albies dat is  ;D

headed down that way to relax, fish some, eat fine, and scope out the lay of the land for november lodging....

wally
— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: walt on September 27, 2007, 06:17:11 AM
see ya boys on the rebound..... harkers or bust..... hmmmm harkers and busts, albies dat is  ;D

headed down that way to relax, fish some, eat fine, and scope out the lay of the land for november lodging....

wally

have a good 'urn walt!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flyinhigh

Quote from: Malcolm Robertson on September 19, 2007, 07:53:13 AM
Quote from: flyinhigh on September 18, 2007, 14:41:09 PM
Quote from: Malcolm Robertson on September 14, 2007, 07:37:43 AMTo them, catching them from the beach was the only way to do it.

I would have to agree with this statement. Not much challenge in catching them from a boat. For those of you that like to try from the surf, I would suggest Beaufort Inlet on outgoing tide fishing from the west end of Shackleford Banks.  ;)

I've heard there's a good rip there.  Do you take a ferry from Beaufort? 

Beaufort or Morehead

http://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/ferry.htm