Question for Allen reel owners

Started by driver, June 12, 2015, 16:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

I know some of you have Allen reels, I thinking of buying a Kracken. Does anyone one know what material the drag is made out of? Also how loud is the drag on that thing? And does is click when reeling as well?

RiverbumCO

I don't think it clicks either direction.  I have a 3 and 4.  Graybabay has two fours maybe.  Shropp has a 3 and "gasp" a Dorado Edition.  None have failed us.  I have no idea what the drag is but it handled albies just fine.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

NCsporksman

"Gasp a Dorado edition" is fuckin right....baller ass reel

#balleronabudget

Michael Toris

Small click both ways. Not loud. Sealed cork drag. Incredible reel for the price. Caught tons of big carp, musky, a big ray, and albacore; didn't think about failing.

Michael Toris

I have two fours for 8-10. I like big reels with lots of room for backing. Getting around 250-300 yds of 30lb in it.

Michael Toris

driver

Quote from: troutfanatic on June 12, 2015, 22:02:43 PM
Quote from: wildmttrout on June 12, 2015, 21:31:01 PM
Get the kraken Kraken XLA.

thank me later.

Meh, I don't think its worth $100 extra for a reel that I will use 10 times a year.

Onslow

Big ass reels that hold ten miles of backing are about as useful as a foot long scrote sack.  Great conversation pieces, but hardly useful and easily injured.  I'm quite pleased with my baby Jesus package and small reels.

driver

That 10 miles of backing is pretty useful when your hooked up to a 20lb albacore.

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on June 13, 2015, 15:18:36 PM
That 10 miles of backing is pretty useful when your hooked up to a 20lb albacore.
Yup. Or big river donkeys

Onslow

I hate both of you all :laugh: 5-6 hours of windshield time for salt.

The kraken is going to the beach with me on Tuesday.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to use it at Portsmouth Island.

If you're making 10 trips to the land o salt, then I would get a pricey Allen reel.

driver

Another question, drag adjustment on the Kracken, its it fairly quick? On the Lamson reels you have to keep turning and turning to crank that bitch down.

Michael Toris

I have a litespeed. The drag adjustment on the kraken is much faster than the lamson. And the kraken drag is much smoother with lower initial inertia as well. I would not buy any other reel.

driver

Perfect! Sounds like I'll be ordering tonight.