News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

High country stream

Started by troutphisher, September 16, 2007, 16:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream today, with Brownhunter. This stream is at high elevation around 4000 ft. The views of the mountains at this elevation were awesome.
We started the day fishing at 9:00am after a couple mile hike to the stream.

The weather was cool at 49 degs but warmed up some in the afternoon.
The water was running good and gin clear, we knew this was going to be challenging and were looking forward to it. The stream temp was a cool 52 degs and well oxygenated with lots of plunge pools.

When we got to the water and cast our first flies, we got an idea of how tough it was going to be. The fish were extremely weary and the strikes were lighting quick. We missed the first few fish, but soon dialed in the take.

I started with an olive x-caddis size 16, and Brown tied on a royal wolf pattern.
We caught a couple of really nice colored brook trout in some pocket water while kneeling down to cast. The water was extremely clear and every shadow movement was picked up by the fish.

Later around noon I noticed a good yellow sally hatch, mixed with some small caddis. We saw some sulphers coming off to, but they were sporadic.

I tied on a yellow humpy size 16 and fun catching some brooks in the pockets and seams. It was a little after mid day when we arrived at a good pool I know.
It's a long deep pool about 50 yards long and always holds some good fish.

I sat on a rock slab and cast about 40ft to a clear slow pool, and soon raised some nice size brooks, around 6~8" with deep orange belly's and spots that were deeply colored, these fish are almost in spawn colors.

I cast to the center of the pool with the humpy now pretty beaten up from the previous fish, when a nice 10" brook took the fly, and dived for the bottom.
I set the hook to quick and snapped it off. When we walked back around the other side of the pool just before leaving, we saw the fish hugging the bottom.
Brown tried to touch the bottom of the pool with his rod tip and never made it.
The water was so clear and you could see the fish at the bottom with he humpy in it's jaw.

We fished some pools on the way out and Brownhunter had several rises out of this pool and ended up with a real gem! this was a very vividly colored fish.

It was good to get back to this stream and see it in good shape. I was glad to see the brook trout made it through the drought.

Here are some pic's of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

brownhunter

Phish,
It was a great day and once again, thanks. I have fished this stream before, but never with anybody. He is right when he says the water was clear, and the fish were ultra spooky and the takes were extremely suttle until afternoon. It was nice to see the brookies come through the worst of the heat and drought though. We saw some real nice urns, but they were tough. All in all, a great day
0--0
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

troutphisher

Ya, it was a good day!

I never get tired of seeing these little gems.

But next time lets not forget the water.....LOL  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Perfect eating size >:D Bet they are making Absales lick his lips to ;)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Discomidge

Nice report and pics once again TP 0--0  woowee, how bout lookin' into giving us a how to section sos TP could post a how to on trip reports 0--0

Kim 8)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Trout Maharishi

Maybe he could include some of his favorite trout and side dish recipes. 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Discomidge on September 16, 2007, 21:21:42 PM
Nice report and pics once again TP 0--0  woowee, how bout lookin' into giving us a how to section sos TP could post a how to on trip reports 0--0

Kim 8)

1. Go Blue lining with a friend.
2. Notice the environment
3. Take lots of pictures.
4. Take some time to reflect (usually with a beer)
5. Write up a report
6. Post it along with the pictures (notice Additional Options)
7. Read Rule #1

Sauteed Brook Trout
   1.  Clean the fish by slitting them open in front, after the heads have been removed.
   2. After all have been cleaned, dip the fingers in salt and take hold of the top of the back bone with the left hand, then with a knife in the right hand separate the backbone and small bones attached to it from the flesh, by scraping or pushing the flesh from the bones.
   3. Wash in salted water, dry on a cloth, then roll in Indian meal, to which a little salt has been added; lay side by side in a frying pan, containing hot salt pork fat to cover the bottom of the dish; let brown on one side and then turn, to brown the other side.
   4. Properly cooked these will absorb no appreciable fat.
   5. Smelts may be cooked in the same way, though these are quite as often egged-and-crumbed and cooked in deep fat.
   6. The bones are not always removed, as they can be easily taken out after cooking.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!