Fantastic New Euro Nymphing Fly

Started by Phil, May 27, 2019, 11:03:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Heads up, Fred -- With all the buzz about Euro nymphing recently, I decided to try something radically new. Actually, it's from my youth, when old-timers taught me to "fly fish" with 20 yards of mono (sound familiar?) spooled to my Pflueger reel. What ya do is "tip" it with a red wiggler and high stick it. Works deadly -- I guarantee.  :P

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Stone-Man

We used to put a small nymph on it and catch some dandy bluegill

Stone-Man

We used to put a small nymph on it and catch some dandy bluegill

Yallerhammer

Or a Tellico nymph with a stickbait or wasp larva threaded on the hook.....
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Yallerhammer

Funny, if you read a lot of the old books about fly fishing in the Smokies back in the early/mid 1900s, a lot of those folks were using a spinner/wet fly combo.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

itieuglyflies

I grew up "fly fishing"using a Colorado spinner (sometimes with a piece of earthworm attached) also a Joe's Fly (spinner blade ahead of a woolly worm fly and all trouts were released in
grease.

Phil

30 years ago I was a hot fly tier and I donated 2 dozen tailwater flies to a regional TU fundraiser. They impressed folks so much they sent the flies to the national TU fund raising event. I was all proud and stuff. Thought I was hot.
As a gift, I gave a dozen more flies to an old guy who had taught me to "fly fish" years before. They were fancy comparaduns, split duck wing dries, floating nymphs, etc. The guy looked at them and said "Durn, they's purty. I'm gonna tip these babies. Thanks, Phil!"
I was all horrified at the time, being a real "purist" by then, ya know....

Onslow

I used to spin fish with the spinner/woolly worm combo many years ago, well before the Joe Fly came on the market.  This method of fishing is unproductive and a complete waste of time.

A beetle spin rig with a 4" plastic purple plastic worm is murder on browns.  So are brass barrelled mepps spinners. This is a wrap for the single hook crowd.  Gold F5 and F7 Rapalas are the meanest brown lures on the market.

I fail to understand why anyone would use a retarded joe fly, or any variant thereof.  Nymphing is so much more productive.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on May 27, 2019, 18:44:21 PMI used to spin fish with the spinner/woolly worm combo many years ago, well before the Joe Fly came on the market. 

You must have been using that spinner/woolly worm combo in a previous life.  Since the Joe Flies have been around since 1961 and you're only 49, your claim needs some tweaking.

Joe Flies only work for the non-pretentious.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on May 27, 2019, 20:52:04 PM
Quote from: Onslow on May 27, 2019, 18:44:21 PMI used to spin fish with the spinner/woolly worm combo many years ago, well before the Joe Fly came on the market. 

You must have been using that spinner/woolly worm combo in a previous life.  Since the Joe Flies have been around since 1961 and you're only 49, your claim needs some tweaking.

Joe Flies only work for the non-pretentious.

There were no Joe Flies available at Roses, Kmart, Hills Sporting goods in Raleigh.  Walmart may have started selling them in the early 2000s.  Don't recall seeing them in the Bass Pro catalog, or being advertised in Outdoor life & Field and Stream.

I won't tweak my dates, but have tweaked the geography. I only believe what I see. Sidenote...I don't recall google being around in 1994.

Joe Flies only work those individuals God feels pity for.  Someone must be praying for you if you're catching fish on a Joe fly.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Founded in 1961.  They were available in Marlinton WV at the Western Auto when I started fishing and was spending my allowance on spinners and pairs of grey-hackled peacocks in little plastic boxes.  The Joe Fly was, and still is, one of my favorites.  Half of a juicy nightcrawler hanging from the hook is a deadly rig.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/joesflies/about/?ref=page_internal

Quote from: Onslow on May 28, 2019, 19:28:33 PMI only believe what I see.

I never saw a real titty until I was 14, but I believed they existed well before that edifying day.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Phil

OK -- back to a serious Euro nymphing question. Fred? Doug? If I'm fishing 2 nymphs -- one tungsten bead, one #18 scud pattern, should I tie the scud off the hook bend (like a freestone dry/dropper), or should I tie it on a tag above the heavier nymph? Inquiring minds want to know....

Dougfish

Euro Doug says tag. Old school Doug says bend.
Some Euro guys do the anchor fly off the tag and the lighter fly off the anchor.
Your mileage may vary.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Caught some fish (7), so broke in my Euro rod. Of course, a hatch of sulphurs came on and the fish wanted dries. There I was all Euro nymphed up....  b';
Took a couple of pics. No decent size, just fun on the 10' rod.

Dougfish

Go Phil.
You might be surprised how well it throws a dry with a regular leader.
I need to keep some empty tippet spools to make the change easier.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006