News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane, dublhaul, trout-r-us and 153 Guests are viewing this topic.

Al

It looks like more of the same for next week - Be sure you check the announcement before you go 276-629-2432

"Following recent heavy rainfall runoff in the upper Roanoke Basin, flood operations continuing until this Friday, 8 May, for Kerr and Philpott (in addition to ongoing Fish Spawning Operations at Kerr).

PHILPOTT:   Continuous generation (650 cfs) at Philpott Monday through Friday, next week. This weekend, 9-10 May, expect near 500 cfs Philpott outflow .  Declaring 945 MWH secondary, for a total of 1170 MWH."

creakycane

Thanks for posting, Al.  These days, can't even get a break to fish in the early AM once in a while.  Oh well, I guess it is time to explore the obscure blue lines - definitely, the well known little creeks in NC and VA seem to be getting hammered.  Some days I am relieved to see so much interest in trout fishing, thinking it is good for the future of the streams.  Other days, I just wish people would evolve beyond the blood sports (too late for me b'; ).   Anyway........
Be safe/healthy everyone.

Al

I think they are going to give us a break next week. Check the schedule due out late Thursday or early Friday @ 276-629-2432

Here is latest info ...

PHILPOTT:   Declaring 405 MWH secondary, for a total of 630 MWH.

KERR:  Declaring 3915 MWH secondary, for a total of 6165 MWH to support spawning releases of 5500 cfs from Roanoke Rapids. 
              ***NOTE:  Declaration assumes 300 MWH from Dominion's energy storage account in Kerr to support fish flows.***

Woolly Bugger

May 18, 2020 #19

Had visions of sulfurs hatching, tried to go Saturday, that was a bust, then on Sunday I was almost at the river when I got phone call that dad had fallen -- by the time I got back, he was in hospital and x-rays confirmed a broken hip. Well damn.

Surgery went well last night and they are starting therapy today.

Driver was up on sunday and he said to "get up there if you can"  So I left the house at 6 and was on the water just before 8, as I rigged up the rod I noticed fish rising and saw the little yaller bugs coming off the water.

It took a bit to get into them. Had to change flies and add some tippet to get them interested. Several better fish were caught and it was a lot of fun from 8 - 10, before things began to slow down a bit

Some of you may observe that there is a new line on the 3 wt.

the usual mix of punes but a good number of beefier trouts were caught too, One hit hard and the CFO drag screamed for a bit It was a good morning and well worth the trip. The rain started falling as I was packing up to leave.

A pair of palliated woodpeckers chipped and joined me along the river high up in a tree before flying off on their daily business.

Later in the morning, around 10:30 or so, the sky brightened a bit and I heard the drone of cicada above the roar of the river. On the walk out I could clearly hear them in the wood up on the hill.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Good show, sir.  'c;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Fine. Yessiree. Just plain ol' finery.

Woolly Bugger

Gotta get out while the getting is good

Phil it looks like it's going to dump 16 inches on your place!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

2 inches and counting  :o
me -There's a season?

Al

Probably no need to suggest you look elsewhere to fish for the next week or so. This just in from COE

"Be advised that an additional 81 MWH is being declared for Philpott to support continuous generation that began late yesterday in response to high pool levels.  Sluicing operations at Philpott are also being initiated today as well to manage high pool levels".

I've also seen pictures and reports that low lying areas of Martinsville are flooding and a state of emergency has been declared for Henry County.

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

That's a lot of water, it looks like it may still rise up to the spillway at 985' at last report the lake was 983 and rising
me -There's a season?

driver

I heard SML is going over the spillway.

ryguy

A guy I work with lives on Smith Mountain Lake and mentioned that today.  He said the lake has risen 2' in the past few days.  Lots of rain that is for sure.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

troutrus

Yep. Just one more thing the "experts" said would never happen.
Now we can't fish the river or the lake with the ramp closed.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?