News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith River Nov-30

Started by flyfish_va, November 30, 2008, 16:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyfish_va

Fished the Smith today, parked by the mirror plant.....Never did catch any browns but i did cautch 6 or 8 bows...They hit midges, a small prince and some other nymphs i made up....

I also seen 2 dead fish, one a wild brown and the other was a bow....Has anyone else noticed any dead fish on the Smith?
And can somebody give me directions on how to get to the other spot, the one where everybody parks by the bridge and fishes behind the factory...or takes the dirt road up the dam...Ive been there a few time but i just cant remember

Woolly Bugger

I've not seen any dead browns up there, but those stocker rainbows don't always make it...

I've usually don't find too many bows in the special regs section anyway.....

Good to get out anyway. Its been raining here all day long...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flyfish_va

yea, it rained hard !

but the fish did okay....so i cant complain
You know that river has to be plum eat up with fish....You got the wild populations plust they stock below the dam and below stanleytown!

Al

Quote from: flyfish_va on November 30, 2008, 16:17:55 PM
And can somebody give me directions on how to get to the other spot, the one where everybody parks by the bridge and fishes behind the factory...or takes the dirt road up the dam...Ive been there a few time but i just cant remember

Cross river at bridge by Papa's Pizza, continue on by factories, (most now closed), just before you cross 2nd bridge, look to left and see a sign for "Canoe Access", pull down into there and either head up or down stream - good fishing either way. Spec Reg starts at the bridge you did not cross and goes upstream for about 3 miles to Town Creek which is just upstream of where you fished today at the mirror factory.

flyfish_va

I know it starts at that bridge, i parked at the canoe site today...but there is another place isnt there ...I remember a road that goes up to the dam and follows the river...Im thinking you have to cross the mountain rite by where i was at today.. I believe people park close to the begining of this road to fish the middle/upper special regs...? Sound rite?

22midge

fly read your PM --SENT YOU DIRECTIONS
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

5xTippett

I fished up there yesterday furthur upstream.  I caught a bunch of browns on caddis' and 3 browns and 1 rainbow on midges.  Go figure-a week ago I was catching most of my fish on midges.  I didn't see but a few midges hatching and that was short and sweet.  Did you see any midges where you were? 

StoneflyJoe

I was up by the Mirror Plant yesterday and was the only car in the lot. Had a pretty good day (for me on the Smith) I caught about 12 or so all on the same rig. A size 22 black midge trailed with a 24 tan midge pupa. They ate it up all afternoon. Nothing was hatching  but they were sipping in the foam and soft current seems until about 4. I was hoping for some blue winged olives considering the weather, but they never showed up.

flyfish_va

Seen just a couple tiny tiny black midges and a couple size 32 looking fluff balls, here's what worked for me along with a size 16 prince...the b/h midge-emergers are size 16 or 18 Diaitchi curved ...the nymph is a 12 Mustad 2x nymph

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login