News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Blueberries?

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 29, 2007, 17:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

yesterday my daughter and I drove up to Bluff Mountain to pick some blueberries, after climbing the mountain she was ready to get out of the car to stretch her legs, we stopped at Glade Creek Mill Pond and took a look at the pond and the creek, we turned over some rocks hoping to find a crayfish or two, but only found a few nymphs. We than walked around the pond and spotted a few small bream. Then she thought we should try and catch a fish. I just happened to have the fly rod in the van, so we rigged up and tried to catch a few. I tied on a little popper and thought the bream would smack it. But to our dismay they turned it down, with only a few curious nudges. As we made our way around the pond we heard frogs jumping into the water and found a rather large crayfish claw that somehow wasn't consumed but the predator that snatched it from the creek. She cast the bamboo fly rod but I had to tell her to slow down, she's much better at roll casting. Soon she was ready to get back in the van and head on the Bluff Mountain. There were thunderstorms popping up all around us so we stopped in at the restaurant and had some peach cobbler a la mode.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The storm was moving off, so we drove to the parking lot and  walked across the field to the top of the bluffs. Butterflies were everywhere and then were landing of the clover blossoms. When we got to the to we saw plenty of blueberry bushes, but our timing was a little off, there were hardly any ripe berries to be found. We walked on down a ways and finally found a few early berries. The thunderstorms boomed in the distance and we saw a few far off lightning strikes. The temperature on the bluff was in the mid 70's and a cool breeze was blowing.  After about a half an hour and only a handful of blue berries for our efforts, we headed back to the car. The sun had come back out and the temperature soared.

On the way back we stopped once again at the mill pond to practice casting and to try and catch those bream and bass in the pond. Once again she was unable to attract a bite. But we played in the creek. On the way back to the car she let out a cry of fright and excitedly pointed to a black snake that was slithering its way across the path.

We drove down the mountain to Stone Mountain State Park and she wanted to catch the minnows in the water fall. So I rigged up the bamboo once again and tied on a dry fly and taught her to roll cast to the seam in the current. The small dace were all over the fly, over the top, under the fly, to the side, some even did flips in mid air as the scrambled to catch the artificial fly. The were lightning fast and not very easy to hook, but finally she caught a few. She gently cradled the tiny fish and turned the hook to release them. She talked to the "little fishies" as she handled them. After sliding down the rock into the pool below 20 or 30 times she was ready to go. We fished in another location for a while and we actually saw a trout, she asked me to cast to it and I did with a pretty good cast about 3 feet above where the trout was holding, but one of those pesky little dace came  up and smacked the fly and the trout darted off.

On the way out of the park we counted deer and we ended up with 27 including 3 bucks and a fawn that might have weighed 12 pounds. We also saw a pair of pileated woodpecker cavorting around a tree trunk 10 feet from us.

It was a long day, but the payoff came when we got home and she said, "Thanks for taking me fishing, Dad!" "Anytime", I replied, "Anytime."

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Excellent report!

What a way to spend the day with your daughter!
Nice pictures of the mountains and deer!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Larry

A day with your daughter is a very special day. I have two daughters and I don't think you could have had a better day. Great pictures.
Larry

peter p

Peter

croaker

Great post & pictures Keith.
Looks like a Grand time was had!!!
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Trout Chaser

What a great way to spend the day.   0--0

TC

trout_boy_II

Our 3 boys were soccer players and that absorbed all of their and our time.  I would not trade a minute of those soccer trips, etc., but I wish we had done more "fishing".  As it turns out, now that they are grown and with families of their own, we do go fishing.  Funny how things work out.

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with the rest of us.  It was a joy to read.

TB

Bloy

"taking me fishing" may consist of anything. whatever the "it" is , usually is well worth it. Great post!
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit