Main Menu

St. Thomas/Johns advice?

Started by Dougfish, January 10, 2017, 11:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on January 12, 2017, 08:52:41 AM
When we going?

3 weeks from never.  :banana072:

Go scout out some more streams for me, OK?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Jfey

Which island are you staying on?   I know of a flat on St John that supposedly has bonefish.   I found a guide that was much, much less than $600 that put me on some tarpons near St Thomas.   I actually don't think he was a guide.  Just a guy who had a boat and new where there might be fish.   

Learn how to strip set. 

I think ODA has the skinny on that area also.   

Leave Big J at home and take me.

Yup, going fishing

Dougfish

Staying on east end of St. Thomas. Will be on St. Johns  at least one day. You would drink all my beer, btw. Fact.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Jfey

Quote from: Dougfish on January 12, 2017, 11:51:02 AM
Staying on east end of St. Thomas. Will be on St. Johns  at least one day. You would drink all my beer, btw. Fact.

You are probably right.   Better stick with your wife or Big J....

Go to the brewery on St Johns.  They had surprisingly good beers.
Yup, going fishing

OldDominionAngler

This is some limp dick old man fishing advice.  How many times are you going to go to USVI or be within a short drive of a bonefish flat?  I would go DIY and have a blast.  I have soured on the idea of paying for expensive guides in what are ultimately marginal destination fisheries.  USVI has a good number of mid-size tarpon, bonefish and I've seen more than one gigantic permit tail within casting range.  I've heard BVI is even better as far as flats/bonefish go, but ultimately this fishery and others in the middle Carribbean rank far below premier flats fishing destinations. USVI is an amazing place but I will save money for a full day guided trip on a flats boat when I go to Belize or the Bahamas.

Jfey has a good point too, if you can find a local spin or bait fishing guide to put you on fish for cheap, it might be worth the money.  I paid a guy in Grand Cayman $150 including tip on a "guided trip".  I met him at the bus stop, he was wearing Air Force Ones and Old Navy swim trunks.  His uncle dropped us at a public beach and he found bonefish along beaches that I would have had no chance finding myself.  And I didn't get stabbed so it was ultimately a success.

(top secret intel coming shortly)

Dougfish

Quote from: OldDominionAngler on January 14, 2017, 12:38:27 PM
This is some limp dick old man fishing advice.  How many times are you going to go to USVI or be within a short drive of a bonefish flat?  I would go DIY and have a blast. 

(top secret intel coming shortly)

My man!  0:0
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

sanjuanwormhatch

Every day I manage to not get stabbed I consider a victory. 

ajhock

1000 years ago my new bride and I went there.  Take the boat over to St Johns, go to the other side of the island, rent an inflatable.  Sight fish.  We did hire a guide to go offshore.  That worked but tuna, and sharks eating tuna, are hard on 9wt.   They are really just fish, gotta find them.  Get a boat.  You know how to fish.  The resident fish do love the marinas.  Tarpon, barracuda.  Stupid as trout.   
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

Woolly Bugger

All I gotta say is that with all this valuable "help" you better come back with a doozy of a TR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Just ordered all my SS hooks, ball chain and the balance of my materials. Confidence is high?  -+;
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dougfish

Cleaned the bench.  :o  Ho Lee Fuk.

It begins.....
Gotchas, Crazy Charlies, Mantis Shrimp, Tan Crab, Bonefish Junk, Glass Minnows, Clousers.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dougfish

Here goes nuthin'. Later homies.  :banana072:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Onslow

driver

Have fun. Don't get any of those parasitic sand fleas!

Dougfish

Quote from: driver on February 08, 2017, 19:03:38 PM
Have fun. Don't get any of those parasitic sand fleas!
Bastard! Hey, do bonefish have teeth?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,