News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

Maybe the show will be better than the book.
You cannot view this attachment.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on November 17, 2020, 10:32:52 AMMaybe the show will be better than the book.

This is usually not the case. Any novel/non-fiction story, for the most part, is much better in the original book version. Film adaptations, in my opinion, are generally rather horrid. Non-fiction stories tend to be better than their fictitious counterparts.

troutrus

I remember my mom banned this from my reading list when it was popular among the young. She's been gone for quite awhile, so I figured I'd give it a try. Should have listened to my mom. ❤️
 Proof positive that privileged spoiled brats roamed the earth long before the millennials that are so often credited.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: troutrus on November 18, 2020, 11:11:08 AMI remember my mom banned this from my reading list when it was popular among the young. She's been gone for quite awhile, so I figured I'd give it a try. Should have listened to my mom. ❤️
 Proof positive that privileged spoiled brats roamed the earth long before the millennials that are so often credited.

Read this about 2 years ago. I can't seem to grasp the reasoning behind this book's popularity. Did not enjoy this. However, I do agree with the spoiled brat comment.

Mr. Don

I'm always changing my list of top 5 must read fiction recommendations. Currently in no particular order:

East of Eden
The Road
Sometimes a Great Notion
Lonesome Dove
American Tabloid

Read each at least 3 times and they still affect me. Never doing The Road again as it screws with my sleep and happiness.

Honorable mentions:

The Killer Angels
Cain at Gettysburg
The Stand
Anything by Raymond Chandler
No Country for Old Men
Louis L'amour westerns

The faster we go the rounder we get.

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Mr. Don on November 20, 2020, 19:19:48 PMI'm always changing my list of top 5 must read fiction recommendations. Currently in no particular order:

East of Eden
The Road
Sometimes a Great Notion
Lonesome Dove
American Tabloid

Read each at least 3 times and they still affect me. Never doing The Road again as it screws with my sleep and happiness.

Honorable mentions:

The Killer Angels
Cain at Gettysburg
The Stand
Anything by Raymond Chandler
No Country for Old Men
Louis L'amour westerns

Have only read The Stand out of these lists. Will be sure to look into the rest for future reading.

Dee-Vo

Another great book from Harlan Coben. This is the second of his that I've read. Relevant topics twisted into an always suspenseful plot make for a great story.

#HarlanCoben #read #RunAway #booklover

Yallerhammer

Have any of y'all read any Ron Rash? If not, I highly recommend his books. Really good local writer. Start with "The World Made Straight."
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Yallerhammer on November 25, 2020, 07:43:33 AMHave any of y'all read any Ron Rash? If not, I highly recommend his books. Really good local writer. Start with "The World Made Straight."

Will look into this. Appreciate the recommendation.

Big J

Quote from: troutrus on November 17, 2020, 10:32:52 AMMaybe the show will be better than the book.

Haven't read the book, but the Hillbilly Elegy on Netflix has been crapped on by ever critic I have seen.  Lots of people saying this film is good at depicting how out of touch Hollywood is with the general population and left out a lot of key plots and points out of the book.  Anybody here watch it?  This true?

rbphoto

I've read the book and watched the Netflix version. 

I think the critics are correct.

Netflix, and Hollywood in general, counts on people not reading the book or not caring if the movie follows it to a "T".

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

troutrus

I didn't read the book but saw the film, and I will borrow the words of one of my favorite holiday characters to describe my opinion.

troutrus

From a perspective of those directly impacted.
"The Seas are Rising and so are We"

Dee-Vo

You cannot view this attachment.One of the best novels I've read in a while. Covid has nothing on this story! The perfect time to read a story like this is NOW! Creepy, and downright disgusting at times. 🪱 🤢 🦠 🏝 🔪 🤤 😷

The first I've read from Nick Cutter. He will from now on be on my reading radar.

Anyone hungry? 😅🤤😉

#thetroop #nickcutter #hydatid #worm #hungry

troutrus

For those of us that didn't make the trip, the book offers some understanding of what it was like to be a Green Beret in Viet Nam. Unlike many of the shoot 'em up hero type war stories that we often hear,  Al also reveals a heartfelt human side to the book with stories and photos showing the local civilians and beautiful children in a war torn country.
Very well done Al. Thank you for your service.