News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

new pc help

Started by Fire-Fly, February 27, 2009, 21:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I ordered a new pc today, finally broke down and replaced this one which is 6 years old and was low end then. My question is what do i need to do to transfer the info on this pc to the new one, ideas?

5xTippett

Find a teenager, B.J. :)

Woolly Bugger

your new pc should have a set=up portion that will allow you to transfer files form the old computer.

you may need a pc link cable but this will only transfer user files not programs... programs must be re-installed.... good luck....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

If both systems have a USB port, you could use a jump drive.

Like Wooly said, though, you can only transfer the data.  The programs have to be reinstalled.  There's a little thing called the Registry that gets updated during the installation process.

troutboy_II

I agree, thumb drive is the easiest way to go, if you have any issues around wires and where they go.  And they're cheap now and very useful in the future.  One reason the need for floppy has disappeared.

Good luck!

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Fire-Fly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 27, 2009, 23:06:37 PM
your new pc should have a set=up portion that will allow you to transfer files form the old computer.

you may need a pc link cable but this will only transfer user files not programs... programs must be re-installed.... good luck....
Yeah i knew i could'nt transfer programs, what i am worried about is how to transfer my itunes and saved internet info. Will the set up transfer, transfer that info.

Al

If we don't hear from BJ for awhile, we will know way. I am also scanning the horizon for a big mushroom cloud coming from the direction of Martinsville. That could be BJ blowing up his new computer - or maybe just BJ blowing up.

Like someone already advised, the way to transfer most things is with a large capacity thumb drive. That may require you to have both computers still set up as you move from old to new. Takes time but if you work it one or two folders at a time it will work.

Good luck making the transition from XP to Vista - let us know how you did it. (I am still putting it off as long as possible with the hope that they will preempt Vista with something new)

Woolly Bugger

yes, the transfer program will/should copy all of you users documents, my pictures, my music, my photos, etc...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 28, 2009, 11:31:33 AM
yes, the transfer program will/should copy all of you users documents, my pictures, my music, my photos, etc...

Let us know how that works - I tried it (bought a special cable, etc) and half way through the process a box came up saying "Sorry, it is not compatible" or words to that effect o-o. Probably a way to get around it but I could not figure it out. Ended up going the old fashion way, one folder at a time.

troutjedi

I use an uber-huge external hard drive to back up all my data.  I've got three computers in the house and I can move the drive from computer to computer if I ever need the data from one to be on another.  It's a good investment for sure, especially now that you're having to relocate data.  Kill two birds with one stone

Fire-Fly

Does anyone have the windows vista?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

wvyou

If you don't have a thumb drive, try www.box.net .  You can get 1 GB of storage for free.

Fire-Fly

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?