News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Elk Hare Caddis Fly

Started by troutfreak, June 25, 2008, 15:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfreak

Do you guys use any floatant on these flies, someone mention to coat the body, not the Hair????

Woolly Bugger

I rub in the tiniest amount of silicon floatant, too much and it overcoats the fly making it heavier and it will plop down in to the water. A little "shake and bake" (loon dust, frogs fanny, etc) after a while and your good.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

TF,

I use Frog's fanny (fumed silica) by trade name. It works best on all dry fly's in my opinion. You can work this powder into the fine hairs of elk or deer, and the fly will ride high on the water surface. This will allow you to easily skitter the fly also.

I buy my fumed silica from this company for $3.99 a quart.
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/2_fillers.html

I bought 4 quarts last year, and have not used a whole quart yet.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutfreak

Thanks guys, I been putting way to much on mine then.  I will try the quart TP, thanks for the link.

Trout Maharishi

I don't know what type of floatant you are using, but I apply mine to the entire fly. I put it on the hackle, the body, and the wing. It is important that you treat the fly before you start fishing it. I put a small amount of a paste type floatant on the back of my hand then dab it on fly with my finger tip. The increase in temperature on the back of your hand helps makes it easier to apply if the air temp is cooler. BTW, I like Aquel for a paste floatant. It is a little more temperature tolerant than most others.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutfreak

TM,
I have been using Aquel by Loon, but it seems after a couple of casts the EHC fly starts to sink, and the hackle sticks together.  Maybe, I am applying and throwing in the water to soon???
Thanks,
TF

phg

Most directions say to apply floatant 20 min. before you start fishing.... ;D

Past floatant does tend to mat the hackle, so it should be applied mainly to the body.  I keep my floatant in my shirt pocket while I'm fishing.  That way it's warmed up and ready to apply at all times.  EHC's, though, have been a problem.  I'm beginning to think that I'm using too long a hackle for the palmer. 

troutphisher

Thats one of the draw backs to using paste. I have read instructions on the bottle the recommend applying well before using the fly. TM's suggestion is right on the money. If you thin out the paste by applying a small dab in your palm, them rubbing it into the fly, you get a much more even coating. Thats key to keeping hackle separated, and a Good indicator your applying to much if the hackles starts to mat or stick together.

The fumed silica can be applied and fished immediately. I use the applicator brush from the first bottle of frogs fanny I purchased to apply the powder, working it into the entire fly, then I blow the excess off and its ready to fish.

I used to tie caddis patterns with short palmered hackle for the legs, but have since changed to tyeing them at 1-1/2 to 2 times the hook gap. I like this better for applying the floatant, and fishing the fly. By tyeing the hackle longer, I can easily apply the the powder and coat each hackle barb. Using the applicator brush, I can push the hackle out to spread the legs, this allows the fly to ride in a more natural position on the surface, and with a little twitch of the rod tip, I can get the fly to skitter like the naturals do. On windy days, it's even better, as the wind acts to move and skitter the fly across the surface.

Both floatants are very good products, I just like the silica better because its application works great on both hackle and CDC type feather, as well as dubbing.

To key to both is applying it lightly and evenly.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Fire-Fly

Can you tie EHC with cdc instead of elk hair?

troutphisher

Yes, you can tie them with either or both on the same fly. DJ650 ties some excellent patterns with both. I like to use both Elk and CDC on the same fly.
When I see caddis flying, I notice a bi-color effect on their wings. I tie in  CDC under wing to an elk or deer belly over wing.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on June 26, 2008, 07:57:13 AM
TM,
I have been using Aquel by Loon, but it seems after a couple of casts the EHC fly starts to sink, and the hackle sticks together.  Maybe, I am applying and throwing in the water to soon???
Thanks,
TF

you're using too much! just a dab, less than a drop then spread it out on your fingers BEFORE touching the fly. It should work better then.
Elk hair should float like a cork for a long time.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutfreak

Thanks guys...Woolly, your right, I was putting directly onto fly then squeezing the floatant out.  I will try the palm method with some Frog's Fanny that TM uses.  Thanks again!

flatlander

Quote from: troutphisher on June 25, 2008, 16:13:10 PM

I think I just bought my last bottle of Frog's Fanny.  Thanks for that link TP...just ordered 4 qts of the stuff.

troutphisher

Quote from: Flatlander on June 26, 2008, 10:41:14 AM
Quote from: troutphisher on June 25, 2008, 16:13:10 PM

I think I just bought my last bottle of Frog's Fanny.  Thanks for that link TP...just ordered 4 qts of the stuff.

I did the same last year. Thats about 64 bottles of "frog's fanny" for the price of 4 including shipping.

I think frog's fanny is $5.00 for a 2oz bottle now......LOL nice profit from a paint thickener....he he he

Beetle

Thanks TP for the link.  I will join Flatlander in saying I have bought my last bottle of FF.   ;hb

It costs around $6.00 here in the Camel City.