Anyone fished Yellowstone Park?

Started by Fire-Fly, December 29, 2006, 18:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

If anyone has fished yellowstone Nat'l park please let me know, i am planning a trip and would like to talk to someone who has been there.

troutjedi

When are you going to be there?  There's tons of good fishing in there, but the crowds can get crazy depending on what time of year.  You looking to do any lake fishing or just streams and rivers?

Fire-Fly

Me and a friend are planning to go in june of 2008 and we are trying to plan it now, he has been there before and we ar going to hike back into some of the less pressured areas, we are going to fish streams and rivers only.

Peddler

Fire=Fly, I've been there a few times but never that early. You might want to research stream flows as those mountains can dump some water during snow melt.
Hopefully heading back again in 2007 in August.
P.M. me if you want any specifics.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

peter p

June can be very sketchy for water levels.  You can be in the middle of run off still.
Peter

flytire

Quote from: Fire-Fly on December 31, 2006, 09:39:57 AM
Me and a friend are planning to go in june of 2008 and we are trying to plan it now, he has been there before and we ar going to hike back into some of the less pressured areas, we are going to fish streams and rivers only.

Check the park regulations as many places may not be open to fishing! Dont forget to get the permit to fish inside the park.

Silver Creek

Yellowstone regulations

Season opens July 15th on the Yellowston in the park.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

kuma Fish

Blue Ribbon Flies Fly Shop in West Yellowstone is the place to contact for excellent info.  They are probably the most knowlegeable.  Great staff, Craig Matthews..

I have fished the Gallatin River on the western edge of the park.  Awesome!  Try to time the Green Drake hatch in July.  Tiny stream, large rainbows and browns to 20+ inches!  I would also check out the Madison River below Quake Lake.  About 45 minutes west of Yellowstone.  Reynold's Pass and 3$ Bridge area are tough to beat anywhere.  If you go in late June, you may hit the salmonfly hatch.  Reliable Caddis hatch throughout the summer.  Awesome riffles and pocket water!

Do your research and have a great time!  Run off in June could be an issue. 

Kuma Fish

Fire-Fly

Thank you to everyone for the info, i'm sure i'll hit everyone up again but everything you all told me has got me going in the right direction to plan this trip, thanks to everyone.

pelcrk

been going out regularly since 1990 but have never been there that early. Some streams in the western part of the park might be okay but I'd also contact Blue Ribbon fly shop and see what they have to say.e-mail me and I'll go into more detail.
Have fun.
Steve
It's all good drifts

Beetle

As others have pointed out, your options may be limited due to runoff.

Firehole is your best bet that time of year.