News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Corona Virus

Started by Woolly Bugger, February 02, 2020, 13:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you worried, have you changed habits?

I stopped drinking Corona Beer!
I stopped eating Chinese Take Out
What Corona Virus?
One time at band camp I got a virus...

Woolly Bugger

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html

QuoteWith a new coronavirus sickening thousands across China, researchers who specialize in tracking the spread of infectious disease are modeling its movements. They're asking just how widespread the illness could become, now that cases have been confirmed in 17 other countries.

"We've already lost control of it in China," says Michael Osterholm, PhD, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota.

He says the quarantines in major Chinese cities have probably had limited impact.

"The idea that we could create this seal around China is just totally unrealistic," he says. "I think at that point, you have to assume we're going to see widespread transmission around the world."

Likewise, Scott Gottlieb, MD, former commissioner of the FDA, said in an op-ed for CNBC that "global spread appears inevitable."

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Big J

My brother who is in the medicine field says we should be more worried about this years influenza.  He said it has been more deadly than usual on people with weak immune systems.  However, the scary thing with me for the coronavirus is the 10 day incubation period for the virus.  If you are relatively healthy I wouldn't be too worried.  I'm expecting doctors to have a vaccine soon and this will be like the Ebola and bird flu scares.

Woolly Bugger

Thurs evening report;

The death toll in China rises to 563, with more than 28,000 cases countrywide
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

You cannot view this attachment.

Communist China is going to send workers back to factories on Monday!
me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

Sort of reminds me of "The Stand."

Woolly Bugger

QuoteLipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. "It's likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic," he said. As with influenza, which is often life-threatening to people with chronic health conditions and of older age, most cases pass without medical care. (Overall, around 14 percent of people with influenza have no symptoms.)

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/
me -There's a season?

Al

Read somewhere the thing that used to keep the worlds population in check was massive wars and uncontrollable diseases. We haven't had either in awhile. Maybe this is it  :o

Silver Creek

Quote from: Al on February 24, 2020, 20:32:36 PMRead somewhere the thing that used to keep the worlds population in check was massive wars and uncontrollable diseases. We haven't had either in awhile. Maybe this is it  :o

I hate to mention it but you forgot famine.
Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Onslow

Iran's deputy health minister, Iraj Harirchi, was pale and drenched in sweat during a press conference on Monday as he told reporters that the Islamic Republic had "almost stabilized" the country's outbreak of coronavirus. He mopped his brow so often that an aide scurried to the lectern with a box of tissues. Harirchi dismissed as hype an Iranian lawmaker's claim that fifty people had already died from covid-19. "I will resign if the numbers are even half or a quarter of this," he said, adding that Iran had only sixty-one confirmed cases, with twelve deaths. Iran opposed quarantines, he said, because they belonged to an era before the First World War—"to the plague, cholera, stuff like that." The next day, Harirchi confirmed in a video—from quarantine—that he had contracted coronavirus.

Iran, a country of eighty-three million people, has now become one of the global epicenters of the coronavirus—with the highest mortality rate in the world. Based on official numbers, the mortality rate in Iran has fluctuated daily, between eight and eighteen per cent, compared to three per cent in China and less everywhere else. Iran is also unique, because a disproportionate number of confirmed cases are senior government officials. On Thursday, the Vice-President, Masoumeh Ebtekar—who gained fame in 1979 as Sister Mary, the spokeswoman for the students who seized the U.S. Embassy and took fifty-two Americans hostage—announced that she, too, had contracted the coronavirus. The day before, she had attended a meeting with President Hassan Rouhani and his cabinet. Two members of parliament, including the chairman of the Committee on National Security and Foreign Policy, have also been infected, as has the mayor of a district in Tehran and a senior cleric who had served as Iran's Ambassador to the Vatican. One of the lawmakers, Mahmoud Sadeghi, tweeted on Tuesday, "I send this message in a situation where I have little hope of surviving in this world." The former Vatican Ambassador, who was eighty-one, died on Thursday. So did Elham Sheikhi, a member of the women's national soccer team, who was twenty-two.

Iranian Deputy Health Minister Iraj Harirchi wipes the sweat off his face.
Iran's deputy health minister, Iraj Harirchi, wipes sweat from his brow during a press conference, on Monday. He later confirmed that he has contracted coronavirus.Photograph by Mehdi Bolourian / Fars News / AFP / Getty
Iran's official counts—three hundred and eighty-eight confirmed cases and thirty-four deaths, as of Friday—may be grossly underreported. In an early analysis published on Monday, six Canadian epidemiologists calculated that Iran probably had more than eighteen thousand cases of coronavirus. Their mathematical model was based on Iran's official death toll, the disease's infection and mortality rates worldwide, inflections in other countries traced to Iran, flight data, and travel patterns. "Given the low volumes of air travel to countries with identified cases of COVID-19 with origin in Iran (such as Canada), it is likely that Iran is currently experiencing a COVID-19 epidemic of significant size," they concluded. Because of the wide margin of error, the number of cases could range from as low as thirty-seven hundred to as high as fifty-three thousand. In the end, the Canadian epidemiologists settled on eighteen thousand three hundred, with a ninety-five-per-cent confidence rate. All of their estimates are many, many times higher than the figures that Iran has reported. Their model was published on medRxiv, which posts preliminary research that has not yet been peer-reviewed.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/how-iran-became-a-new-epicenter-of-the-coronavirus-outbreak

Woolly Bugger

Iran, Italy, S. Korea, Spain, France, Germany  :wave
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Shit is getting real  :o

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I guess Jesus isn't going to save them !

QuoteThe leader of a religious sect in South Korea could face a homicide investigation over some of the country's coronavirus deaths.

The city government of the capital Seoul has asked prosecutors to charge Lee Man-hee, the founder of the Shincheonji Church, and 11 others.

They are accused of hiding the names of some members as officials tried to track patients before the virus spread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51695649
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Louvre museum in Paris has remained shut amid concerns over France's coronavirus outbreak.

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

I fear that Iran is underreporting and that S. Korea, Italy and the rest of Europe are still in epidemic

The new case charts, after beginning to flatten out, are now sloping upwards.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?