Smith River - fishing and not catching

Started by Larry, February 14, 2007, 13:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I've told of my successes so I might as well tell of my "fishing" as well. A friend and I went to the Smith on Monday 2/12/07 and neither of us did any catching. I saw three fish with one of them being about 15 inches, but had no takers. Mostly fished nymphs, but they did not seem to be interested. It was still a nice day just to be out on the river. This time of the year, any day you can go fishing is a good day. I did see a king fisher, a racoon, and a very large bird. It appeared to me that they all were "catching".

Larry

Woolly Bugger

Yeah, the Smith can be very tough indeed this time of year with low water tempatures and clear skies. Those fish aren't moving much to get food. Just be glad you got out!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Larry:

Your Monday was better than mine! I didn't go fishing at all   :'(
It is good to see the rest of nature while your out fishing too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on February 14, 2007, 18:44:50 PM
Larry:

Your Monday was better than mine! I didn't go fishing at all   :'(
It is good to see the rest of nature while your out fishing too.

We need to get your ass down to the Smith and test your skills on those wild browns!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

From the pictures and reports in the past, the Smith looks like it would be very fun to fish.
I have never fished it, maybe next month we can set up a trip?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

kylemc

I have never fished the Smith either.I sure would like to though.

Al

For the folks who are new to the Smith - Here is a good starting point.

I wrote this a few years back for the Roanoke Times - It also appeared on the forums back when we talked more about fishing

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/wb/7822

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/wb/8079

No absolutes here, and others do well with different methods, but this is what works for me.

Fire-Fly

Quote from: kylemc on February 15, 2007, 12:50:03 PM
I have never fished the Smith either.I sure would like to though.
Quote from: troutphisher on February 15, 2007, 12:21:05 PM
From the pictures and reports in the past, the Smith looks like it would be very fun to fish.
I have never fished it, maybe next month we can set up a trip?
Any of you who would like to fish the Smith email me and maybe we can get together and fish it, i live ten minutes from the Smith and have a fairly good knowledge of the stream.

troutphisher

kylemc

phg

We can get up an outing on the Smith, once the weather warms up a bit.  Middle to end of March should be good.  The only caviat is that most of the stream is stocked water, so a trout stamp is required, except for the Special Regs. section.  I think it was last year that some of us had an outing at the dam that was well received.

troutphisher

AL and Larry:

What flies do you guy's recommend in the spring?

Thanks
TP

Al

Quote from: phg on February 16, 2007, 10:08:45 AM
We can get up an outing on the Smith, once the weather warms up a bit.  Middle to end of March should be good.  The only caviat is that most of the stream is stocked water, so a trout stamp is required, except for the Special Regs. section.  I think it was last year that some of us had an outing at the dam that was well received.

Good idea Paul. We need a good old fashion "fish off" - Count me in. We probably better come up with a date or many of our calendars will already be filled in - ie, if you are thinking of a Saturday 10, 17, 31 March are already out for me. How about Apr 7th or 14th. Sundays are a little easier for me, but might not be for some folks.

TroutPhisher asked about flies - Well, the Allieworm of course! Truth be told, most any dark beadhead nymph will probably work. I've used a brassie and a squirrel tail with pretty good success.

lepomis_mcro

i have yet to go fishless up there using a 16-18 size pheasant tail... but now that i have jinxed myself, im sure now the next time i go up there i will come home fishless ;)
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on February 16, 2007, 18:07:47 PM
i have yet to go fishless up there using a 16-18 size pheasant tail... but now that i have jinxed myself, I'm sure now the next time i go up there i will come home fishless ;)

Even though you're a legend in your own mind, you have just put the surest course to a skunk on yourself I've ever witnessed. ///?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski