News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

anyone ever been to the following campgrounds?

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, July 27, 2015, 13:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

balsam mountain
mile high
balsam mountain preserve

Yallerhammer

I have camped at Balsam Mountain years ago. Are you referring to the Balsam Mountain Preserve development between Waynesville and Sylva? I didn't even know they had a campground.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

sanjuanwormhatch

yeah talking the balsam mountain campground in gsmnp and the private development balsam mountain preserve.  balsam mountain and mile high are attractive because of high elevation and the time of year.  i am assuming balsam mountain preserve is of equal or comparable elevation.  i'm also assuming it is a little more expensive but, hey, if it's worth it screw it.  also sucks that balsam mountain does not take reservations.  will have to plan a lot in advance and would suck to show up and get turned away. 

Yallerhammer

Balsam Mountain is higher elevation-it's the highest campground in the park. Not many amenities though if that's what you're looking for. The Preserve would definitely be posher-that's a pretty ritzy high-dollar development.

sanjuanwormhatch

i'm fine with lack of amenities.  i'm also fine with paying for amenities if it's worth it.  frankly, unless i can figure out a way to have a little more certainty, i may not be able to rely on there being a spot at balsam mountain campground. 

Yallerhammer

There are also several private campgrounds around the Maggie Valley area, like Pride Resort, Winngray, etc. Cascade Lake campground near Brevard is another nice one for a private campground. Are you looking to fish, or just chill with the homies? Cataloochee accepts reservations and is probably the best one in the Smokies, as much as I hate to say it on an open forum-already too many people over there.

sanjuanwormhatch

just looking for a place to take my son that will be somewhat pleasant in august.  i'm not meteorlogist but I'm assuming high elevation will be better than low.  water near by would be nice.  that's about it.