Tailwater Recon and Random Pics

Started by Get Bent, April 25, 2010, 12:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Get Bent

Its been a little while since I have posted a report. The fishing has been rather good 8).

This past week I ventured to the armpit of Tennessee to float a section of tailwater rarely floated due to inaccessibility. Between private property, a low water dam, no boat ramps, and the need for 4-wheel drive this keep most boaters away.

We decided to float my raft instead of the skiff since we had roughly a 4 ft drop over the dam. And not knowing if there was structure beneath the water, we figured the raft would sustain the least amount of damage. So we launched up river and made our way to the dam, but along the way the trout fishing was pretty steady. We were catching a mixed bag of stockers and wild fish.

The adjoining state stocks up river, and there are numerous feeders which have wild fish and stocked fish, but Tenn doesn't stock this section due to no public access. So knowing how trout migrate, especially browns, we have be itching to do this float.

As we floated over the dam and slid down the concrete face into the deep water below, we had officially hit the section we had been researching. Now I know we weren't the first to do this, as we gathered this info from some old timers, and other locals over time. But I will say we were on seldom fished water.

The fishing was kinda slow at first, a few fish here and there but nothing spectacular. As we progressed down river, tan caddis started pouring off and the fishing picked up. Not all were on top, there were hitting emergers and nymphs just as hard, along with streamers swung and stripped back up stream. The day couldn't have been better, no other fisherman, bugs hatching, sun, beer, and fact we were on new water.

As we progressed down stream, we managed a few decent fish, some browns and some bows. And some slabage. It was a great way to end the day, except for the brutal up hill boat drag!

Here are some pics from the trip!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Here is a few images from Feb, and March trips on the Watauga. I am tired of blurring faces so you have to look at some ugly mugs ;D

These are pics from the So Ho 800cfs float. I was running a temp of 102 and decided to take my amigo Chris on one last float before he headed to the Middle East on a 15 month deployment. He had a great day.

Konichiwa Bitches!

blue ridge angler

thats what I'm talkin' about.. 0--0
great stuff..

LivinOnTheFly

Awesome man! That boat "ramp" looks like a trip!  0--0
Not at the table Carlos!

Get Bent

All I need now is a power winch with 100 feet of cable and there will be no more dragging!
Konichiwa Bitches!

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Geez Ryan,
Thats some serious bidniss! I can kick myself for not takin you up on that float trip that time I was in the "promis land" and lost the dam camera and bust the knee o-o
Awesome report with some beast master trouts! ;hb

MFTG

That is dopish.  F'in yeah man. 0--0

Get Bent

I should have some more tailwater suckage after this coming weekends pilgramage to the North Branch Potomac! We usually do pretty well ;D
Konichiwa Bitches!

flynhokies

damn man, looks like you've been getting after it  ;hb. lovin the stealthy float...nuthin beats local knowledge  8)
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

flatlander

Strong stuff 0--0

You have a boat AND a raft??...You must be loaded.  Don't let Phil find out about that :-X

tbird4

Get Bent

QuoteYou have a boat AND a raft??...You must be loaded.  Don't let Phil find out about that

Well I started out with a raft, then sold it for a hard boat. Then I missed floating certain rivers , so I found a deal on a used raft. I already had the trailer so it was perfect.  ;D
Konichiwa Bitches!

kylemc

Yeah man! but you dress like a dickhead

Get Bent

Kyle, you have it all wrong .....it's " You have like a dickhead" !  ;D

0--0
Konichiwa Bitches!

kylemc

I'm racking my brain on that river..I think I know it from the dam you talk about but not quite sure. A PM would be fine :-*