News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canii and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on May 20, 2022, 18:21:01 PM
Quote from: creakycane on May 20, 2022, 14:08:36 PMA 16 sparkledun in light olive or sulphur seems to work well.   Saves me from messing with cdc.  Too hot for me today, however!
FWIW, I believe the Z-long or poly shuck helps alot.

Cdc with the poly shuck gets my vote. Keeps the ass end up. Jeff Wilkins showed me that one. If you don't like cdc, you're probably not pre treating it. My "soldier" line up is 3 dozen flies that are all pre treated.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

91 and it ain't even June  -p-  Clear skies, UV index 11

Some of the nearby fields have been mowed, waiting for the MP to get cut, should be any day now

Went up close to the damn dam to cool off and see what the bug were doing. There were a smattering of sulfurs and a few spashy rises, they took an emerger. After an hour or so, I headed back to get some sunscreen and a drink. By the time I returned the hatch had dwindled almost nothing and I wasted an hour waiting for it to turn on again. I pulled out and headed down to a spot with bugs and  risers and fished until 7:30 as I was putting gear away, this run erupted with a dozen fish rising steadily. Maybe I'll stay later next time...

Stockbro was first to hand.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The rest were browns, but punes

They are everywhere now.

I don't care if they are small, brown trout on a dry fly is just plain fun.

hmmm, that wasn't there yesterday :o

It was 81 at 8:00 my knees were frozen and it took a while for me to warm back up.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Got to the usual parking area and it looked like a freakin convention was in town.  :o
Gave three NC guys some grief before they headed down the tracks.  :laugh:
Headed upstream to see if I could find some solitude. Found it.
But no bugs, seven kayakers, no other action. Lost a couple of flies, moved on.
Swung back by the usual and we had gone from 6 vehicles to 2.
Headed downstream in the oppressive heat. Passed a guided raft and an angler in a run.
Nobody at home at destination.  :Dance
Slow. Not many bugz. Caught a few. Raft actually took pains to go behind me. Props.
Then the same seven kayakers came by.
I think I blew their mind with my teleportation a few miles downstream.

Then the Bugger showed up.
We talked, watched some risers, drank a beer, solved zero problems and he waded out.
I went up to one of my favorite hard to fish runs.
Technical. You have to work hard to get a clean drift.

I took 6 out of there. I was OK with that.  :P

Lurker downstream.

It was a 5 beer afternoon. Stay hydrated, my friends.

It slowed. We cast. We bitched. We got to empty cans.
We boogied ahead of an incoming storm.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

#65 92 - 67 —- scattered thunderstorms - Gas $4.36

I saw that Dougfish was down at the old spot — I couldn't face walking through the mid-rib tall grass, so I took the alt route in.

After bushwhacking in I had to cool off so I waded out to above my waist and cast to the far run where I had spied a few trout rising. I caught one before headed on down the trail to find Dougfish. He was taking a beer break, so I joined him.

The bugs would come and go as did the rising trout — I caught a number of small fish— missed a couple of better ones. It turned on madly for a bit and a few better trout were seen and caught.

The skies clouded up and the temp dropped dramatically — we fished on.

When things slacked off again we took another beer break and contemplated the approaching weather. When the wind picked up we bailed.

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Where did you pick up the old homeless guys to fish with?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Living the dream.  Some damn nice fish.

Fishbug

Dougfish

They finally backed the flows down to wadeable levels.
But I had no business going.
I have obligations on my obligations.
Work obligations. Personal obligations.
I backed out on blue lining yesterday because of them.
So, only go for 4 hours, not 8 or more, whispered the the little devil sitting on my shoulder.
Threw the long rods in the truck, gathered up some refreshments and headed out.

After 10-15 miles, I remembered I left my camera on the counter.
After another few miles I remembered I did not have any socks.
What else???
Swung in to Tractor Supply and bought a pair of decent socks.  :Dance
The last time this happened I stopped at a Dollar Store and only had shitty socks to choose from.

Got to the parking area and I was the one and only.
Suited up, looked for my reels and made the next revelation.
I had taken the euro reels, as well as the 4 and 5wt reels out of my bin yesterday.
There was the little 3wt reel, though. 3 on the 4wt rod.  :laugh:

Hey Keith. Field no mow.

Got down to the destination. Typical summer scene is setting in.
Everything is super lush and the river hosts the rolling fog show.

Not many bugs first thing, but it picked up shortly.
Lots of little feesh to hand.

The 3 wt line cast pretty good. DT FTW. But the line was buggered up just behind the loop.
Had to keep putting floatant on it to keep it from sinking.
Part of my rationale to only fish 4 hours, was that I was pretty sure I'd get chased by a thunderstorm.
At 12:15 one passed just north of me.
Yeah, fish on a bit more?

I was catching, but I had found a bucket of fish that would not take the fly. Really difficult drift. There were at least 2 really nice fish there, though. After 4 or 5 fly changes and maneuvering,
I got a good eat. 3 seconds later he was gone.  b';
I fished on and had a couple more eats, but no hook up.
Finally decided to check the fly. Hook was broken at the top of the bend.  :o
I have his address for next time.

Caught a handful more and moseyed out.

Ran through a little rain on the way home.

:cheers

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

#67 Gas $4.65  n!n  -+; 

hot and humid with extreme UV-11

Dougfish gave me the heads up on the reduced flow and the status of the field. I couldn't fathom walking through that tall grass in the heat of the day. So, I settled for some downtown browns. I took a look/see at one location and nothing was happening, next I checked out a boat ramp and spotted birds working and few trout rising. I buffed up and briefly thought about wet wading. I managed to catch a couple of decent browns before the hatch petered out and I moved on to another location.

Sulfurs and caddis in sparse numbers were observed and I saw several fish rise. They showed some interest in my fly but wouldn't commit. I managed to bring a few to hand and had one good fish on the line for a bit. The fish turned and took the fly but I had too much slack in the line to get a good hookset and when the fish ran upstream all was lost.

I switched to a partridge and orange and began whacking the punes.

Most of the fish were in the 7 - 10 inch range.

By 6:45 things began to slow down and I had had enough...

me -There's a season?

Phil

Mr. Dougfish -- sounds like you done forgot yer shit but made do just fine with what ya had....
"Finally decided to check the fly. Hook was broken at the top of the bend.  :o" Aaaack. That's happened to me a few times, and it sucks in the worst way when you finally figger out why ya ain't hooking no feesh!!  b';

Woolly Bugger

I wasn't five minutes down the road when I realized I forgot the Sage SP that was recently returned from repair. No worries I've got the Orvis Recon. I'll take it next time!

I drove to check out the field, still not mowed and two cars in the lot, I moved on.

I arrived at the next location and saw an old guy gearing up, I guess I'm an old guy too! Anyway, he disappeared down the bank and I wasn't sure where he went so, I walked up a way and couldn't find him. When I returned, he was nyphing the run.

I watched him fish for a while. he had a large green yarn indicator on a double nymph rig. Great pickup and roll cast skills that impressed me. Then I watched the drift. I was tempted to yell, "MEND" over and over as a long belly of line drifted below his indicator. At the end of one drift the yarn twitched and he attempted to set the hook, somehow even with all the slack line the fish was hooked. He played it for a while and it turned out to be a decent brown.

I drove to another spot and left after seeing too many cars.

I ended up at the River Walk area that I had never fished before, I swung soft hackles and whacked a handful of punes. I ended up holed low and high and decided to move on again.

I fished the now vacant run where the old guy was, but there was very few bugs and no risers to speak of. I swung through the run and thought for a moment of nymphing but moved on yet again.

The final destination proved to be worthwhile with plenty of fish rising, birds swooping, and the main run was oddly free of fishermen.

I swung my way down the run and caught a couple handfuls of small browns. More bugs were coming off and fish were picking them off with regularity. I switched to a dry and the game was on for the next hour or so. By 8:30 I was feeling chilled and I had to pee and I just broke off fly, so I decided it was a good time to quit.

me -There's a season?

itieuglyflies

It's a rough life being the Woolly Bugger......

creakycane

Interesting activity in the middle of Bassett yesterday.  A guy taken away in cuffs, deservedly so.   Hats off to the Henry County Sheriff's office for their responsiveness.   Be careful out there. No, he wasn't fishing, or a fisherman.

5 cars at one of the launches, couple more coming in.   Dudes BSing, donned in full Simms/Patagonia uniforms as the rafts are launched.  I have never uttered the words "Smiff River" and "destination fishery" in the same breath, but I may have to reconsider. 

Woolley nailed it as far as fishing.  Good week; next week will be a scorcher!

Woolly Bugger

84 with scattered clouds Gas $4.64  n!n

The drive is now costing me about $17

Some of the fields in the area have been mowed and bailed so I took a look at the MP field and it hasn't been touched yet, so I drove on up to the damn dam. It was about 3:30 and there were some birds eating sulfurs and the trout were rising. I hooked a few rainbows and brown on the surface in the first run and then moved on down to the main attraction.

I swung a soft hackle and whacked close to a dozen, 60/40 stockbows to browns. After swinging through the run I stitched to a dry and caught a few more, but it now after 6 and things shut down.

I moved downstream hoping to find a repeat of the other evening. I shirtless tattooed spin fisherman struck up a conversation and he told me that he had caught a "Nine pounder, it was a rainbow" last night!

"Awesome!", :;!  I replied as I waded into the river. There were a few bugs still coming off and the occasional riser. I caught another dozenn; browns and a couple of fatty rainbows.

I fished until 8:30

Full moon rising...

me -There's a season?

Dee-Vo

Not far from there is where a gentleman driving an older red S-10 (I think) told me he caught a 13lb trout on spinning gear.  :laugh: