News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - June 21, 2022, 09:07:04 AM
As water crisis worsens on Colorado River, an urgent call for Western states to 'act now'

>>>With the Colorado River's depleted reservoirs continuing to drop to new lows, the federal government has taken the unprecedented step of telling the seven Western states that rely on the river to find ways of drastically cutting the amount of water they take in the next two months.

The Interior Department is seeking the emergency cuts to reduce the risks of Lake Mead and Lake Powell, the country's two largest reservoirs, declining to dangerously low levels next year.

"We have urgent needs to act now," Tanya Trujillo, the Interior Department's assistant secretary for water and science, said during a speech on Thursday. "We need to be taking action in all states, in all sectors, and in all available ways."

>>>"We are facing the growing reality that water supplies for agriculture, fisheries, ecosystems, industry and cities are no longer stable due to climate change," Trujillo said.

Last year, the federal government declared a shortage on the Colorado River for the first time, triggering cutbacks in water deliveries to Arizona, Nevada and Mexico. Farmers in parts of Arizona have left some fields dry and fallow, and have turned to pumping more groundwater.

The cuts have yet to limit supplies for California, which uses the largest share of Colorado River water. But that could soon change as federal officials push all seven states to participate in diverting less water.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2022-06-20/as-colorado-river-reservoirs-drop-states-urged-to-act-now
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by trout-r-us - June 21, 2022, 08:00:36 AM
Too bad about the mowing situation at the field. 
I heard that Joe Philpott died back in 2020. Joe was a good Steward of the land and was very kind and accommodating regarding fishermen access when he was still able to get around. Even in periods when the field was not being utilized for crops, he would keep a path bush-hogged offering easy access to the river. Not unusual for him to approach anglers in the parking area just to chat, and offer a ride down to the river.
Not sure if the Philpott family still oversees the land.
Sounds like a good project for the TU group to pursue.  n!n
The Gravel Bar / Re: Gun laws
Last post by greg - June 21, 2022, 05:34:04 AM
I haven't listened to podcast but all I know is in most school shootings the resource officer is nowhere to be found.
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Dougfish - June 20, 2022, 21:05:53 PM

Saturday was brutal. Wind and more wind. Managed 4 whole fish and cut the day short.
I might as well have been courting a balcony. Howaboutit?

Back for a bit of redemption today. Cool, breathless.
Tried WB's spot up high and got a few, but bugs weren't happening. Moved back down.
No mow. Maybe soon?

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Had the place to myself.
Got into fish straight away.

The only day lily the deer won't get to.

Comparaklinks and P&O got it done, #18's.

Needs more rhodo.

20ish. Hiked out early.
Caught one at Sally's Hole to even the score with those punes and boogied home for some obligations.

:cheers
Last post by Woolly Bugger - June 20, 2022, 20:47:40 PM
If you think police will Protect and Serve — they have no special duty to protect you as decided by the Supreme Court

Give this a listen

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/radiolab/id152249110?i=1000566811622
Last post by streamereater_101691 - June 20, 2022, 20:44:09 PM
Quote from: Big J on June 17, 2022, 12:11:21 PMAnd I'd be happy if we could at least agree on an armed resource officer at every school.  We guard all our "most important" things in this country with guns.  Banks, hospitals, politicians, politician's kids, sporting events, etc.  But people feel unsafe having an armed RSO at a school?  Makes no sense to me.  I say we give some of these politician's security detail budget to schools RSO funding if they can't find the money to do this.

I couldn't agree with you more Big J regarding the RSO's. I think we should ration RSO's to the number of children attending the school. More children in the school, more enforcement needed. Unfortunately, tactics do become more and more important in these situations. We face the enemy abroad with not only a physical presence, but also a psychological one as well. Unfortunately, I believe this will play a role at home as well.

To your opinion regarding arming teachers, I'm on the fence. Part of me says yes, arming teachers will help, but only given the right training. I think it should be a voluntary choice along with a high amount of training, ~40 hrs completed every year WITH their weapon of choice. We already ask a ton of teachers. You'll weed out the ones who really want to protect their students quickly.

On the other hand, I believe we are missing a great opportunity in retired officers. I know quite a few (50-65yr olds) who who mow lawns, wash cars, and/or do handy work for extra money after retirement. Why not hire them? They already have the training, weapons tactics, and know their surroundings. Make it worth their while.
Last post by streamereater_101691 - June 20, 2022, 20:28:17 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on June 14, 2022, 19:51:21 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 14, 2022, 18:02:29 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on June 13, 2022, 21:34:56 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 13, 2022, 06:56:30 AMYou've already said it, "I personally would like to see all guns banned." Now tell me how you're going to do it effectively.

I'm just stating what I would like to see. I don't have the authority or knowledge to get it done.  All I can do is vote for those representatives that seem to represent my viewpoint.
I don't understand your apparent anger and condescending attitude toward folks with opinions that differ from your own.
If I said anything that personally offended you, it was unintentional and I apologize.

No animosity toward you or your views, but using comedy sketches to somehow prove a point just doesn't fly with me. It seems as though they/you are making fun of the problem rather than coming up with a logical solution that everyone can agree with. I fully welcome everyone with differing opinions than mine, but you better be ready to back up your theories and opinions with something because discussion and rationalization are the only ways to fix problems in general, let alone this big one. Yes, it would be easy to ban guns, but are you/someone you elect going to go door to door and collect them? I think not.

My opinion is that I don't see any problem with Klepper's representation of the training or lack thereof necessary to buy or carry a deadly weapon in public.
The recent arrest and conviction of a trained veteran police officer that shot and killed a guy with a real gun when she claims she thought she was using a taser sends me a message that if she was not prepared under that stressful situation after many hours of training and years of experience, I just don't feel very safe with non trained or lightly trained everyday citizens walking or driving around with guns.
And I don't understand what you mean when you say I better be ready to back up my opinions. If I express an opinion, that's pretty much it.

Peace

I agree with you about the police officer who shot the man. That seems like a total bullshit excuse. The officers in our neck of the woods carry tasers and lethal force on opposite hips. There is a clear difference. To your comment about civilians, how many licensed ccw holders have you seen arrested for crimes/ commit crimes? The town you live in has 16,000 people. Over 3,000 are licensed ccw holders who abide by the law. Yes, we know good guys with guns don't stop crime, but shouldn't they be allowed to protect themselves? You choose not to, thats your right.
I'm saying to convince me your way is better, you should be willing to express how/why/when you can ban guns. And not just about guns, but everything. That's how we have discussion and learn from each other. Hell, you might make me realize you're correct about a particular subject. If you can't/wont, don't be mad when I call you a narrow minded asshole.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Video of the day...
Last post by trout-r-us - June 20, 2022, 15:15:08 PM
There are options to beat the high cost of education. Here's one man's idea.
Note: Price may have gone up some since the eighties.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Merlin Bird ID App
Last post by Dee-Vo - June 20, 2022, 14:47:01 PM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on June 20, 2022, 13:54:10 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on June 20, 2022, 10:17:25 AMDo you have an iPad or anything of that nature? Probably not....if so, you can use this with the app as well. If not, keep rocking the paper version. I have this small version that has served me so well over the years. I think at one point you may have mentioned your distaste for this author and his tactics for gaining nature photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Carolinas-Field-Guide-Second/dp/1591930669

Nope, no iPad or anything close. 

I'm very jealous. I've done away with all of my social media accounts permanently. This forum is about as far as I get. I'd love to get rid of my smart phone, maybe I will at some point, if I'm lucky.
Support the BRFFF