News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Help Out a New Thread Winder

Started by befuddled, September 30, 2005, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befuddled

Hey guys,

I've just started tying my own and must have done at least two good ones by now. Does anyone know of a good link that has lots of recipes?

thanks,
befuddled

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Hugh Hartsell

:D Befuddled, as look over these tutorial sites, pay close attention to the porportions that are used on each section of the fly. Try to keep a fly sort of slim and trim, tight and neat as you go from the tail towards the hookeye. You may have to take a fly apart several times to get it just right. Don't be afraid to do this. Learn to get it right from the start and it will carry thru as you move onto your next pattern. I wish you luck and if you need any personal help, please get on the board or PM me. There are lots of others that will glady share there knowledge and experience with you here.
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

tnernie

Here  are a couple more links for you.
http://troutflies.com/tutorials/            great tutorials.

http://smokymountainflyguide.com/tutorials_flytying.htm/introduction.htm  This is a link to Hugh Hartsell tutorials.

Ernie

phg

Lots of good stuff out there. :)

As you are just beginning, let me suggest you go to FlyAnglers Online (wooly gave you the link), and pick 'Fly Tying' off the first menu.  The next menu has 'Beginning Tying', Intermediate Tying' and 'Advanced Tying'.  These are a series of lessons by Al Campbell that are an excellent tutorial of flytying.  If you work your way all the way through Intermediate Tying, you'll be able to tie up just about any fly you see.

You also need to add flytying materials to your family budget.  There'll always be something else you need, and some of the stuff ain't cheap. :o ;D ;D

befuddled

Just wanted to thank you guys. The links are great...maybe one of them will show me how to end up with more hare's ear on the thread tah my shirt:)

thanks again!
befuddled