Main Menu

Movie Thread.

Started by RiverbumCO, December 22, 2014, 19:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Al on March 11, 2017, 17:45:14 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on March 09, 2017, 10:43:40 AM

Quote from: Yallerhammer on March 09, 2017, 10:33:39 AM
I really liked the Revenant, too. I have always been fascinated with the Hugh Glass story. When I found out they were making a movie about it, I was stoked. Then I found out that DiCaprio was playing Hugh Glass and I was pissed, because I hate DiCaprio. I will have to admit that he did a good job, though. I was pleasantly surprised.

As for historical accuracy, the original ordeal that Glass went through was probably even worse than the movie made it out. He had a badly broken leg at first, too. He did not have a son with him in real life. And he did not kill Fitzgerald, because he had enlisted in the Army by the time Glass caught up with him and his commanding officer threatened to hang Glass if he went after him.

Any certain publication you'd suggest reading concerning Mr. Glass?

I didn't like the Revenant - it took a lot of liberties with what has been passed on in tales and written record.

There are a lot of good Hugh Glass written stories - some wind themselves into novels,  others claim to stick to the record.  Some I've read and still have on my bookshelf are:

Give Your Heart To The Hawks- A Tribute to the Mountain Men - Winfred Blevins - Brilliantine Books
This Reckless Breed of Men - Robert Glass Cleland - Knopf / Borzoi Books
Tales of The Mountain Men - Edited by Lamar Underwood - Lyons Press
The lives of Mountain Men  - Bill Harris  - Lyons Press
The Mountain Men - George Lycock - Lyons Press

Probably the best movie that uses the Hugh Glass story as an anchor is Man in the Wilderness (1971)

I'm grateful for the info. Will look into the suggestions.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

Quote from: RiverbumCO on March 09, 2017, 22:48:05 PM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 09, 2017, 13:41:26 PM
It is sad.  You have been warned.

I enjoyed though. Really was rooting for him to fuck his ex again.  She got hotter at the end of it.

Edit: not as sad as "The Fault in Our Stars," if you need a metric.

Marriage has really did a number on you eh?

Dee-Vo

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 09, 2017, 10:27:45 AM
I recently watched Manchester by the Sea and if you have kids, have brothers, have ever been married, have friends or have a pulse I'd say it will hit you hard in the gut.

Watched it. It was ok.

RiverbumCO

Quote from: NCsporksman on March 10, 2017, 21:16:45 PM
Is this how low you have to go to get laid now that you're married...really bummin me out guy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've always been a purveyor of fine cinemas.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

sanjuanwormhatch

At first I was kind of thought it was sad just to be sad but all the story lines seem to come together in the end.  I thought it was pretty good but will def remember it for being sad rather than great.  Doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Big J

My boss said Manchester by the Sea was the worst movie he had seen in a long long time.....

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Probably the best movie that uses the Hugh Glass story as an anchor is Man in the Wilderness (1971)

Although I am a huge fan of Richard Harris (see youtube below for laugh), and I enjoyed The Man in the Wilderness, I don't agree with Al.

In the Revenant there was attention to detail, realism and absolute beauty.  Plus the guns were right – a couple of freaky loading or not loading/firing scenes, but the guns were correct for the period.  Add this type of period accuracy to the use of natural light makes The Revenant an amazing feeling movie  -- immersing the viewer in imaginary sensations.  This atmosphere may only be available on the big screen.  I've seen the movie multiple times at home and it remains entertaining, but it ain't even close to the multiple times I saw it at the theater. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

RiverbumCO

Quote from: Big J on March 13, 2017, 11:57:41 AM
My boss said Manchester by the Sea was the worst movie he had seen in a long long time.....

Has he been properly vetted for sound opinion?

Or is he more of a "That new King Kong movie looks badass, J-Dawg!" kind of guy?

What I'm getting at is I don't give one rat fuck what your boss thinks about any movie.

(Love you Jakey)
My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Big J

Quote from: RiverbumCO on March 13, 2017, 19:55:20 PM
Quote from: Big J on March 13, 2017, 11:57:41 AM

Has he been properly vetted for sound opinion?

Or is he more of a "That new King Kong movie looks badass, J-Dawg!" kind of guy?

What I'm getting at is I don't give one rat fuck what your boss thinks about any movie.

(Love you Jakey)

He likes Seinfeld, Longmire, and Justified.  Got a pass from me.  But then again, I probably watch the least amount of movies on this board.  Wife bought me Revenant for Christmas, a movie I actually want to see, and it is still in the plastic wrap on the movie shelve.  I haven't watched a movie that wasn't kid related with daughter yet this year.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

Now if you all want to talk about Disney Movies, I got you covered on that!   

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 13, 2017, 13:07:04 PM

Although I am a huge fan of Richard Harris (see youtube below for laugh), and I enjoyed The Man in the Wilderness, I don't agree with Al.

In the Revenant there was attention to detail, realism and absolute beauty.  Plus the guns were right – a couple of freaky loading or not loading/firing scenes, but the guns were correct for the period.  Add this type of period accuracy to the use of natural light makes The Revenant an amazing feeling movie  -- immersing the viewer in imaginary sensations.  This atmosphere may only be available on the big screen.  I've seen the movie multiple times at home and it remains entertaining, but it ain't even close to the multiple times I saw it at the theater. 

I agree-it drives me nuts to see historical movies where everything in it is historically incorrect. And yep, the Revenant was definitely a big-screen movie.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Beetle

My wife and I watched Manchester by the Sea...... ::)

We (society) have become so attuned to shitty books and movies that this debacle of a movie is rendered worthy of praise and awards.   

We need a book thread

Woolly Bugger

In Jim Harrison's book, The Great Leader, he mentions an Orson Wells film, Touch of Evil, and the character in the book touts it as one of the best of all time, so I had to rent it on Amazon to watch and it was pretty damn awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Yallerhammer

Saw John Wick 2 awhile back and it was friggin' awesome. Spoiler alert: He shot a whole bunch of folks.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Rhody

This one looks pretty good, Sam's a good un

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.