News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gonna Try 'Em

Started by Phil, March 22, 2021, 13:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Ok, it was time for new waders. Couldn't afford G3s and wanted to try ones with a zipper for my fucked-up prostate. Shedding vest and all to pee every 10 minutes is a real pain. The Simms G4Zs were $900. That's out. The FreestoneZ are $400 and out of stock until mid-May, they said.

After studying up some and reading reviews, I ordered a pair of Redington Sonic-Pro HDZ for $400, arriving tomorrow. Boy, I hope I didn't make a huge mistake.  :o  Will give a report next time I take 'em out.

Phil

Got 'em this afternoon. Look and fit good!  n!n

driver

If I am not mistaking the few people I know that had those had problems with the zipper leaking. I think Wooly had some of those for awhile a well. I don't remember his verdict

Phil

^^^ Debbie Downer.  :laugh:
Guess I'll see 1) if they leak or 2) if the Redington 1 year warranty is wutha damn.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on March 22, 2021, 20:20:00 PMIf I am not mistaking the few people I know that had those had problems with the zipper leaking. I think Wooly had some of those for awhile a well. I don't remember his verdict

Leaks but not from the zipper i think they are leaking at the seams — still thinking about sending them back for repair as I couldn't identify and patch leaks
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Phil

Well, this is all heartening to read.  :laugh:

Onslow

I own R sonic waters. I was hotter than hell over some of the seam leaks.  However, I used the same product one would use for pin holes for a torn knee area.  10 applications, and I have a solid weld.  Had some laakage around the crotch.  Seam was weak but not blown out.  2 applications of sealer, and I have no leak now. 4 trips thus far, and everything is good.

That being said, why would anyone wear waders now?  Don't wear them unless it is below frezzing, or if the high temp will be less than 60.  The neoprene gravel guard socks takes care of 80 percent of one's insulation needs.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on March 23, 2021, 13:18:42 PMThat being said, why would anyone wear waders now?  Don't wear them unless it is below frezzing, or if the high temp will be less than 60.  The neoprene gravel guard socks takes care of 80 percent of one's insulation needs.

Try standing balls deep in the Soho or Watauga up near the damn dam —- jis sayin
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 23, 2021, 13:28:06 PMTry standing balls deep in the Soho or Watauga up near the damn dam —- jis sayin

Or Smith.
An enlightening experience.  :laugh:
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 23, 2021, 13:28:06 PM
Quote from: Onslow on March 23, 2021, 13:18:42 PMThat being said, why would anyone wear waders now?  Don't wear them unless it is below frezzing, or if the high temp will be less than 60.  The neoprene gravel guard socks takes care of 80 percent of one's insulation needs.

Try standing balls deep in the Soho or Watauga up near the damn dam —- jis sayin

^^^ This. Also, when you get back home or to camp, ya gots waders and boots to dry out. That's two things.
 When ya wet wade, ya gots neoprene booties, wet socks, wet pants, and boots to dry out. That's four things.  <edit> Oh, and the hand towel ya use to dry yer feets before ya puts dry socks back on. That makes 5 things.

Phil

First 3 hour run in deep water with the Redington waders today. No leaks -- the zipper didn't leak either. I used the zipper three times to pee. It sure was nice not to have to take off vest, unhook and pull waders down, etc. Just unzip waders, unzip pants, bend over some in order to get my "shortcomings" to clear the wader zipper, and let 'er fly. Relief!
I hope they last a little while at least before they leak. We'll see. So far they get a thumbs up.