Unlimited confederate (or any other) war memorial

Started by Woolly Bugger, July 07, 2015, 11:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Confederate Memorials stay or go?

Keep them.
18 (69.2%)
Good riddance
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I think it is currently unavailable through Amazon, but Chauncy seems like a fitting statuette for neighborhood yards and gardens all over America.

https://www.amazon.com/chauncey-confused-garden-monkey-statue/dp/b0093win2s
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Move them to The cemeteries they said!

Confederate monument at Green Hills Cemetery pulled down, removed

You cannot view this attachment.

https://myfox8.com/news/confederate-monument-at-green-hills-cemetery-pulled-down-removed/?anvplayer-autoplay=0

A monument that marks the mass grave of about 300 unknown Confederate soldiers in Green Hill Cemetery in Greensboro was toppled over the Fourth of July weekend.

https://triad-city-beat.com/confederate-monument-toppled-green-hill-cemetery/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Al

Only a matter of time before some good ole boy's toss a chain around one of many MLK statues, puts their Big Bertha truck in 4WD and floors it.  All hell will break loose then.

Onslow

Quote from: Al on July 07, 2020, 21:46:29 PMOnly a matter of time before some good ole boy's toss a chain around one of many MLK statues, puts their Big Bertha truck in 4WD and floors it.  All hell will break loose then.

Most are to strung out on drugs to function.

America was thrown away like a piece of cheap Chinese merchandise. It longer exists. Things will only get much worse.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 07, 2020, 21:08:58 PMConfederate monument at Green Hills Cemetery pulled down, removed

Analyzing the chronology is everything.

From the article:
<My guess is that if this statue goes up in 1888, it's a lot more about trying to establish white supremacy than mourning Confederate soldiers," Ringel said. "1888 makes it more problematic than 1865.">

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 08, 2020, 07:20:53 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 07, 2020, 21:08:58 PMConfederate monument at Green Hills Cemetery pulled down, removed

From the article:
<My guess is that if this statue goes up in 1888, it's a lot more about trying to establish white supremacy than mourning Confederate soldiers," Ringel said. "1888 makes it more problematic than 1865.">

Guessing?? How about we guess that there wasn't any money available after the war to build statues. How about we guess that by 1888 cival war veterans were dying off and the DOC was able to raise enough money by that time to have statues build..  mind you I'm only guessing...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 08, 2020, 07:27:50 AM

From the article:

Guessing?? How about we guess that there wasn't any money available after the war to build statues. How about we guess that by 1888 cival war veterans were dying off and the DOC was able to raise enough money by that time to have statues build..  mind you I'm only guessing...

I'm guessing that around 1888 the powers that be had a brief comatose episode and were completely oblivious they were about to pay tribute to traitors, or perhaps they had complete control of their faculties and decided to be the first and only entity to honor defectors and traitors.  I'm only guessing.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 08, 2020, 07:50:46 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 08, 2020, 07:27:50 AM

From the article:

I'm guessing that around 1888 the powers that be had a brief comatose episode and were completely oblivious they were about to pay tribute to traitors, or perhaps they had complete control of their faculties and decided to be the first and only entity to honor defectors and traitors.  I'm only guessing.

You mean like Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Hancock, and all those other traitors and defectors from the British Crown?

One of my great x grandpas, Captain Robert Messer, was hung for treason in Hillsborough in 1771 by the royal governor of NC for being one of the leaders of the Regulator Rebellion at the Battle of Alamance. Maybe they ought to take down the monument there with his name on it, too?
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 08, 2020, 09:33:39 AMYou mean like Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Hancock, and all those other traitors and defectors from the British Crown?

Yes. 

And as I said on 17 June.

<Maybe it is an inherent problem with symbols/statues/monuments.  Perhaps we need to do a more thorough job of vetting, selecting, and honoring our heroes.  I only have 3 champions or heroes in my life.>

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 08, 2020, 09:55:20 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on July 08, 2020, 09:33:39 AMYou mean like Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Hancock, and all those other traitors and defectors from the British Crown?

Yes. 

And as I said on 17 June.

<Maybe it is an inherent problem with symbols/statues/monuments.  Perhaps we need to do a more thorough job of vetting, selecting, and honoring our heroes.  I only have 3 champions or heroes in my life.>

Perhaps there should be no statues, period.  The bronze age Hebrews apparently had some issues with such matters.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Rafe did not want or need a statue.  We could learn from Mr. Hollister. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I never thought of this possible dichotomy between the Confederate officers and folks like Yaller's great x grandpa  --- turning their backs on their oath. 

<"The Confederacy, the American Civil War was fought, and it was an act of rebellion," Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley told the House Armed Service Committee on Thursday. "It was an act of treason at the time against the Union, against the stars and stripes, against the U.S. Constitution and those officers turned their back on their oath.">

Woolly Bugger

Photos: Confederate monuments in New Orleans vandalized

https://www.nola.com/multimedia/photos/collection_e1e3fafa-c1ff-11ea-a896-b7390d2153ac.html#1

Including Sophie B. Wright, a teacher born in 1966. I guess because she was a DOC member...

QuoteDuring the 1897 yellow fever epidemic, she spent all her money to turn her school into a storehouse, and distribute clothing, food, and medicine to the sick in her neighborhood.[8] For this and other acts of sacrifice and charity, she was sometimes called "Saint Sophie.

QuoteThough honored for her social activism and philanthropy during her lifetime, her membership in the Daughters of the Confederacy has led to calls from current New Orleans social activists for a reconsideration of her legacy and a taking down of her monument in the Garden District of New Orleans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_B._Wright
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, is home to more than 40 Confederate monuments. The park is roughly 6,000 acres, attracting nearly a million visitors each year.

Are the Confederate monuments educational or do they glorify slavery? It depends on who you ask.

"This is the largest of the Confederate monuments on the Gettysburg battlefield," said Jason Martz, an acting public affairs officer for the Gettysburg National Military Park.

The statue of Robert E. Lee stands about 41 feet tall on the Gettysburg battlefield, a pivotal site of the Civil War.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/confederate-monuments-gettysburg-debate-historians
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The days of Monument Avenue are numbered

me -There's a season?